weird red beetle-like bugs in tank!

This forum is for people to discuss the issues specifically around having to deal with infectious diseases such as Adeno virus or Coccidia.

weird red beetle-like bugs in tank!

Postby Cassandhamoudi » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:24 am

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

Hi all,
Ham has been fighting a bad bout of coccidia for about 2-3 months now. The other day i noticed this small but visible red-beetle like bug in his tank it had a black spot on its back, wings, was not rounded like a lady bug and had antennae and a striped tail end. I didn't think much of it because it was the first sighting. He had been on totrazuril and his poo finally started looking normal again so I moved him to his new larger tank that I had waiting for him. Now I found another one of these beetles in the NEW tank and his poo was a mess again. I know this can be due to stress because of the move, but my real concern is these bugs. Has anyone else experienced this? Both times I found them I had literally just sterilized the whole tank minutes ago. He eats phoenix worms and no they are not phoenix flies. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
Cassandhamoudi
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: weird red beetle-like bugs in tank!

Postby brittani299 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:38 am

Do you feed crickets? Did it look like this Image

If so it is called a warehouse beetle and they are in cricket boxes to help eat and clean up after dead crickets
brittani299
Extreme Poster

Postby Cassandhamoudi » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:58 am

I do feed crickets occasionally, but thats not what it looked like. Thanks anyway.
Cassandhamoudi
Newbie Poster

Postby Oriheme » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:41 pm

Can you get a picture of the beetles? I know it would help a lot to be able to diagnose what they are!

Image did they look like this?
ImageImage
Oriheme
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Dealing with Infectious Diseases