Beardie with Coccidia and Pinworms!

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonspm4233

Hello everyone!

As of recently I noticed my beardie had some pretty foul poops and I took a fecal sample to work yesterday (I'm a vet tech). The sample came back positive for pinworms and coccidia, both in the highest range according to the lab we utilize. Anyhow, I need to begin treatment but unfortunately I work at a small animal vet where they are clueless as to reptile dosages/treatments. I've read that Panacur is typical for pinworms and albon for coccidia. I need help with deciding a mode of treatment as well as amounts and dosing instructions. I plan on purchasing a gram scale today to see how much my big guy weighs. In the mean time I really just need to know how to calculate a dose and which treatment to use. I've also read much about probiotics, is soy yogurt sufficient or should I order a supplement?

Thank you!
Paula

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Hi, sorry about your sick beardie. I know what that's like. I've tried albon, trimeth-sulpha, and the coccidia came back big time. Our beardie is currently on Toltrazuril, which I think is working well. It's supposed to be not as harsh as the sulpha drugs. Our beardie stopped eating while on the sulpha (albon), but he seems ok on the Toltrazuril. The Panacur works well, and doesn't bother them much.

The acidolpholiz+ is pretty cheap, so I think it's worth it.

Good luck!

Russell84

Hatchling Member
Don't know if this is much help, but about dosages...

My beardie had coccidia frequently and was prescribed coxi plus (Sulfadimethoxine sodium). You take one scoop (which is 0.5mL) of the powder and fully dissolve in 5mL of water. Then you give the beardie 2.5mL of the solution orally per 1Kg of body weight.

Hope this is useful

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
get the acidophiliz+ it definitely worth the money and stays active I believe for up to a year,for the coccidia I'd ask for something other than the sulfur drugs such as ponazuril or the toltrazuril, easier on their system, the panacur is common for the pinnies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom