Cryto and Emiria?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
The 2 beardies I rescued have the following,
Jesse, the girl, cryto-9, pin worms-6, Emirica x2, tape worm x2
Duke the boy, has to many to count on all of the above.
I need to know if any of these can infect Miss Booger, I have been careful to wash my hands when handling any of them. The vet has them on Panacur and Albon.
I would like more information on the cryto and emirica if anyone has some. thanks.

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
The 2 beardies I rescued have the following,
Jesse, the girl, cryto-9, pin worms-6, Emirica x2, tape worm x2
Duke the boy, has to many to count on all of the above.
I need to know if any of these can infect Miss Booger, I have been careful to wash my hands when handling any of them. The vet has them on Panacur and Albon.
I would like more information on the cryto and emirica if anyone has some. thanks.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....all parasites are transferrable, so always handle + care for those dragons last, after you have taken care of your healthy animals, and of course there should be appropriate hand washing. Emiria is a type of coccidia, and I think the other that you mentiones is Crypto , short for Cryptosporidiosis. You will want to have a separate container for bathing, and it's best to never use your tub or sink, since we humans can pick these up as well. The first dragon is not so bad off with the numbers pretty low actually, but if the 2nd one is high, he really needs the meds. Hopefully the meds. will do their stuff. I will p.m. Drache613 for input, she is the go to person for help with meds. + dosing.

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
thank you. They both have their own bowls, towels for baths and I have everything separated for each of them. They have had 5 days of Panacur so far and 6 days of Albon, another 6 doses of Albon, every other day.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is too bad they have crypto & coccidia!
The coccidia is a parasite that is naturally found in their gut flora normally in very low numbers but when the levels get too high then that is when it begins to make them ill.
Crypto is hard to find & diagnose & is not a naturally found parasite in the system. They must have picked it up through dirty, feces-contamined water. If they were drinking dirty water that makes it build up in the system causing high levels.
Being rescues I am not surprised though.

The Albon & Panacur should wipe it all out. The Albon should hopefully help with the crypto, since it is a broad spectrum antibiotic.
Will you be giving probiotics while they are on medication also? Baycox could also be considered for the crypto if the Albon doesn't clear it up.

Tracie

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie, I have some soy yogurt right now, and have ordered some critical care and mazuri and should be here this coming week. They gained some weight before I got the fecals done, and now, going on the second week of meds, they have lost almost all the weight they gained. I have some baby food, squash and chicken. I am trying to get them to eat something. I thought the female was eating, but found out she let her roaches out of the bowl to hide under her rock yesterday. Haha, sneaky little thing. I will keep it in mind on the Baycox. The vet said it might take 2 or 3 times to get rid of them in the male. If they still have the parasites after this treatment, I think I need to give them a break so they can gain some weight before they get more. I am just worried if to much of the meds are taken and they won't eat they will lose a lot more weight. Duke, he is 21" long and only 512 grams,(489 grams when I got him, gained 34 grams the first week, he has lost total of 18 grams over the last 2 weeks, but he has never eaten much for me) ) and Jesse is 18 1/4" long and only 337 grams( 308 grams when I got her, gained 64 grams, then lost 35 in the last week). They both are very active considering all that is wrong with them. Thank you for you r time to answer my questions. If there is anything else I can do please tell me what I need to do. I really love these two already. Up to 3 beardies now. The male has a new home, but only after he is healthy. The little girl, has many problems so she will stay with me.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like you have it under control. The soy yogurt should help out along with the critical care.
Hopefully their systems will clear out soon so they will start to gain some weight back. The meds do take a huge toll on them.
At least they are active right now though.
It can take a few treatments to get it all wiped out though, I agree, depending on the levels.

Just keep everything as clean as possible to help avoid any reinfection. You are doing great!

Tracie

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Now another problem, seems like little Jesse might have eggs. She has been digging now for 2 days. I can't feel anything, but was told infertile eggs you might not be able to. I am hoping she lays soon, her viv is such a mess with the sand and throwing it everywhere.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is always something it seems!
How is she doing still digging? Poor thing, hopefully if she has eggs, she will lay them without any problem.
Is she still eating quite a bit now?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom