Please read if you have a "Coral x Tarzan" baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

bren

If you have a "Coral x Tarzan" baby, I would recommend strict quarantine and a PCR test for Atadenovirus.

Our baby tested positive for Atadenovirus and coccidia (quarantined around no other dragons.) Another family in our state purchased a clutchmate to ours which tested positive for pinworms, coccidia, and Atadenovirus. The baby never made it past 13 grams in weight and subsequently died.

I informed the breeders (out of concerns for her breeders) but they refuse to accept any responsibility. Our dragon arrived on 8-22-12 and tested positive for coccidia (Isospora amphibolori) on 9-4-12. Isospora amphibolori takes 18-21 days from the time of infection to the time you can identify the organism on a fecal test. You can draw your own conclusion on where our dragon was infected (not our house, especially being a single dragon in quarantine.) She was infected at the breeder's.

I did consult with the site administrator before posting this and do not want to mention any names. My only concern is for the animals out there and for innocent beardie owners who may infect other innocent dragons with these babies (if they survive.)

These were $500 "Collector's Quality" dragons. Ours is doing well at the moment, but will have to live an isolated life in quarantine, which was not my goal for her. She was purchased to be a striking dragon for educational presentations at local schools.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
That's so sad. :( What an awful discovery to make!
I am so sorry about your baby girl. :( Sending lots of happy thoughts your way, and I'm not very well-versed on Adeno/Atadeno virus but here's hoping she isn't too terribly affected! <3 <3 <3
One of the moderators on this site, Tracie (username Drache613), is actually currently part of an Adeno/Atadeno virus project and may have some ideas for you. :)
Best of luck to you and your little lady <3

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry about your dragons!
If you are interested in sharing your data with me, I would love to add your data to my data base of tests & information.
Of course, it is all anonymous to the public.
You can PM me if you would have questions.

Tracie

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
Ummm, not collector quality but my question is why do they have to live in isolation? Humans can't get adeno from dragons. (you should wash your hands after handling any reptile) You can have a healthy dragon carrying the adeno virus. I have a 900 gram positive dragon that is 7 y/o and doing normal for that age. Just saying...

bren

Original Poster
If you only have a single dragon, it's fine. But if you have multiple dragons in your home, you certainly wouldn't want to infect any negative dragons and cut their lifespan short... This baby will always have to be kept away from my other dragons, since they are all Atadenovirus negative.

Scrammy

Hatchling Member
Thats very interesting since Terri doesnt believe in adenovirus. I got a supposed Rocket/Georgie baby on August 23rd. I say supposed because i paid for a 100% citrus and what i have is a red/orange that looks nothing like her supposed clutchmates. When i questioned Terri about her possibly being the wrong dragon.. She denies it and tells me to wait a year.. She will be very yellow. Look at my tbread Darlas Diary in beardie tales.. She is NOT yellow and looks more like a loeer quality Legacy Jewel baby. She also tested positive for pinworms and very high count of coccidia. I told Terri.. She just said its normal. I didnt test for adenovirus... But am thinking maybe i should now. Terri told me I could send her back and get a different dragon... But the tip 1 inch of her tail fell off so i dont know if she would accept it back. Plus i feel guilty gor giving up on hrr. Not sure what to do. Can i see a pic of your baby??

Scrammy

Hatchling Member
I think i will... Not sure how tho... I bet my vet charges a fortune... He charged 30.00 to do a fecal.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
You could ask Tracie (Drache613); I believe she sells testing kits. You gather a sample (I think you just swab their viv?) and send it back, and the lab she's affiliated with will test it.
I think there are blood tests too, but yeah those are probably pricey :?

mudskipper

Juvie Member
Both Tammy and I have have 2 dragons from the same 2 breeders (Fire and Ice Dragons & A1-Reptiles). We would be good candidates for testing.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
Scrammy":1rijuhky said:
Thats very interesting since Terri doesnt believe in adenovirus.

http://www.reptilechannel.com/reptile-health/lizard-health/atadenovirus-bearded-dragos.aspx

I found this link. Where did you see that Fire and Ice Dragons doesn't believe in the virus? Just because something is new and is not well understood doesn't mean it can't exist. LOL How can you not believe in a virus that can be tested for? :shock: I hope this is not why Darla has been difficult with eating. Papaya was 104 grams last night. She was 17 grams 1.5 months ago. Soon she'll be twice bigger than Darla. :(

Scrammy

Hatchling Member
mudskipper":29h0wvig said:
Scrammy":29h0wvig said:

http://www.reptilechannel.com/reptile-health/lizard-health/atadenovirus-bearded-dragos.aspx

I found this link. Where did you see that Fire and Ice Dragons doesn't believe in the virus? Just because something is new and is not well understood doesn't mean it can't exist. LOL How can you not believe in a virus that can be tested for? :shock: I hope this is not why Darla has been difficult with eating. Papaya was 104 grams last night. She was 17 grams 1.5 months ago. Soon she'll be twice bigger than Darla. :(

Excerpt from an old email from Terri:

For cleaning, use 1 part bleach to 30 parts water. Leave on for 10 minutes. Then flush with a lot of clean water. We alternate using Bleach/Water and Novalsan which is an anti-viral, anti-microbial.

We do not believe there is such a thing as adenovirus. No one involved in this can give a percentage of accuracy for the tests which in any other testing, can be given. We believe if you keep the environment clean and the dragons de-wormed once a year or as needed, most health problems can be avoided.

Regards,

Terri

Terri Sommella Fire and Ice Dragons

Scrammy

Hatchling Member
mudskipper":1zvx75p7 said:
Scrammy":1zvx75p7 said:

I hope this is not why Darla has been difficult with eating. Papaya was 104 grams last night. She was 17 grams 1.5 months ago. Soon she'll be twice bigger than Darla. :(

I hope not... She also hides alot.. And has coccidia and pin worms.. I have a bad feeling... Poor baby.. She didn't ask for any of this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom