UV sterilization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skymall007

Hatchling Member
I have a special UV light that has mercury in it. It's a degerming light. Does anyone know if this would work on coccidya or pinworms?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is it a mercury vapor light like Solar Glo, Power Sun or Megaray or something different?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't know to be honest, but I am shocked at the description of that product.

They basically are encouraging you to use a device that produces UVC on humans?!
So next time you go visiting sick relatives you might want to blast them with magic light first
That is insane and totally dangerous. I am surprised there hasn't been some big lawsuit over it.

EDIT: To be more productive to you, I offer up this advice: Just stick with what is known to work, such as steam. It's really easy and quick to deal with cleaning/sanitizing the tank with steam.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh, actually that was just a third parties description. I went to the actual website for that item to read up on it and surprisingly enough (not really lol...) it is "no longer available" lol.

-Brandon

Skymall007

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Don't worry, it comes with warnings to not use it on people =) They still sell them. It also has a safety measure that turns it off if the device is not horizontal so that you would have a hard time putting near your eyes. It's pretty safe, but if you drop it then you have to worry about mercury lolz. I def. shall not rely on it. I did it on the cricket enclosure (no crickets in it because I don't want mutant crickets) and also to Gamma's enclosure after a scrubbing and then hour bleach soak. I know bleach doesn't work on coccidia, I am debating getting ammonium from the store tonight. Gamma sleeps in my bed, so I would be able to let it air dry over night. (I have a big bed and I separate us with a pillow just in case. She sleeps in a pair of fuzzy pj pants

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Have you tried a steamer? Using one of those is supposed to be very effective. This info was on the beautiful dragons site:
Steam -
Pressurized steam directed into cracks or onto surfaces is an excellent sterilant.
Advantages: not toxic, no residue or odor, kills coccidia oocysts (above 165 degrees F), kills many types of bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites, very economical once the steam cleaner is purchased, and there are no chemicals involved - just water!
Disadvantages: equipment could be costly, it takes a lot of steam to clean a small area, and hot steam can break glass if the surface is cold (be careful with those aquariums!).
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Disinfectants.html

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I bought a steamer through Amazon and it was quite reasonably priced.

Skymall007

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That is good to know. I def. couldn't get it this month due to vet bills and some unexpected things that popped up. I am glad to know it is not too expensive.

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
I know that there are UV light pens that work with killing parasites in water. I've used a couple while backpacking to sterilize drinking water. I assume this would work out of water as well.

http://www.rei.com/product/799003/steripen-adventurer-opti-water-purifier?preferredSku=7990030012&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-pla-_-product-_-7990030012&mr:trackingCode=F43ECC7D-B02B-DF11-BAA3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&{copy:s_kwcid}=&gclid=CNrx-7XvqbMCFUlxQgodVkcAhA

This is the one I used. Seems to work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom