Help! Nyctotherus???

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
My beardie Lotus's fecal test results just came back showing that she has a parasite called Nyctotherus. I can hardly find any information on this parasite, other than it's apparently some kind of protozoan. As far as my vet's knowledge goes, this parasite has never been found in a bearded dragon, and I can't find any other info to suggest otherwise. He said it's commonly found in tortoises and has been found in uromastyxes before as well. It's a parasite that can originate from some roaches, though I'm not sure if there's other possible sources. My vet said it wasn't anything to be too worried about and recommended a course of Metronidazole (only because Lotus has experienced chronic diarrhea - otherwise he wouldn't recommend any treatment)... which seems like the appropriate course of action. Does anyone else have more info about this parasite or what to do about it? The only roaches I've ever fed her have been dubias from reputable roach breeders, and from what I could find Nyctotherus is pretty rare in blaptica dubias, though they technically can carry it. I've had Lotus (rescue beardie) for about 6 months and she has ALWAYS had terrible runny poo and perpetual stress marks even though her husbandry has been confirmed to be correct by both my vet and everyone here on the forum, including Tracie. The vet said he is going to contact the herpetology and parasitic research departments Texas A&M University, as they would be very interested in this sort of thing and might be able to test my roach colony to see if that's where the source originated from *sigh* :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Christina,

Ugh, I am sorry to hear about Lotus' issue!
Based on that, the metronidazole should hopefully work!
I have come across & read on Nyctotherus but have never worked with anyone whose dragon had it!
At least they finally found something that can help her I hope.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom