Over the counter wormers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jovamabob

Hatchling Member
I lost a university bursary i needed recently and money is tight - my vet recommended to save money i could use a medication that can be bought without a perscription and is about £9 or so to treat a mild coccidia problem. I used the shop bought 'beaphar reptile wormer' that treats round worms with good results - my vet said they were much much better with the initial 5 day treatment and with the repeat treatment after 14 days they should go all together (im in the middle of this we'll see how it goes). The vet said there were coccidia in the first test but not enough to really concern him - he said it was very mild and somewhat natural to have some. In the follow up test there was slightly more though so he said it'd be worth using the over the counter medication to just zap them before they become an issue. He recommended a product that contains Ronidazole and treats 'flagellates, coccidia, entamoebae and cryptosporidia (sometimes referred to as protozoans)' seen: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beaphar-18581-Anti-flagellate-Reptiles-Medium/dp/B00477NPYU I hold a Level 2 Safe Use of Veterinary Medicines qualification so the actual dosing the medicine (following the instructions) and such is not a problem - id be very unlikely to overdose. I'd go ahead and get the prescription stuff if i really couldn't use the beaphar stuff - i'd just have to save a little first.

Has anyone else used Ronidazole and is it okay?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I don't have any experience with the Ronidazole, but have spoken with some that have used it with good results.
We don't have that over here just the Panacur.
What is the strength & how often do you plan on giving it?
I think that is fine to try the home treatment right now.
How is his appetite lately?

Tracie

jovamabob

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
His appetite is iffy at the moment. His compact UVB broke a week and a half ago and i decided to switch him to tubes, but im still waiting for the new one to be delivered (tomorrow hopefully) so i think most of it is to do with that. He's only eaten properly since the uvb broke when ive managed to take him outside in the sun (The weather here has been awful!). He went from 370g to 352g the first week but once i got him outside he was soon back up to 385g. He was fine before that though, his poop has been particularly stinky which was why i wondered about parasites.

Im not 100% sure about how long i dose him for - it depends on what the pack says but i think it is 5 days and then repeat 14 days later for infestations if i remember right. it doesn't say the strength online but i intend to go buy it this week when my university grants come in so ill have a look before i use it. Is there a particular strength thats best?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great you switched to the tubes as the compact/coil lights are hazardous to their health.
Which UVB tube did you order?
As far as the strength/concentration of the Ronidazole, it can vary. Usually it is 25-50mg/ml or up to 100mg/ml or a 10% solution and or paste.
The recommended dose is 10mg/kg of bodyweight. I would give for up to 10 days, for the infestation. It should knock it out relatively quickly.

Tracie

jovamabob

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Cool, ill let you know when i get it through and see what the strength is :)

I ordered an Arcadia 38w 10% tube thats 42" long, which will fit my current 55 long and the 60 long one im planning on building. I happened to find a super cheap 2nd hand controller for 40w bulbs and it fits the 42" tube i wanted to get perfectly! I picked up the controller for £10 and the bulb for £20 which worked out less than a tenner more than re-buying the compact so it seemed silly to not do it, especially since i've heard they do so much better with the tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom