Salmonella in Reptiles vs. Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmagee

Im not sure if this is the right section for this but I'm just curious, heath wise about how dogs can be affected via reptiles. I ask this because currently I keep up on hand washing after handling, due to the bits that I have read. I have become more aware and now might wash less if Im say just putting him on my shoulder or the floor, or petting him in the tank. I guess I'm most careful when handling his belly, feet, basically anything on the underside.

More to the point of my question. I keep mine on newspaper and after generally every bowel movement he gets a bath, sometimes if hes lucky I might just spray and brush if he is clean about going to the bathroom, which generally means if I am there to see it vs. come home to see it in the tank with a few smear marks around it.

So, my dog LOVES this reptile, he was mostly curious before but now I just noticed he loves to lie with him on the couch alot. When I was watching them he licked the reptiles feet, maybe like 2 or 3 licks I'm not talking like extensive obsessive licking behavior. Anyways, I dont want to limit their interaction or feel the need to correct him for doing that, but.. is it a risky thing, ie could it make my dog sick?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

As long as the reptile is kept clean & his body such as his feet from feces, the risk of salmonella to your dog is very low. Just a few licks should not be harmful if he is clean.
Be careful with the interaction with your dog so that he doesn't get too excited with your dragon!

Tracie

gmagee

Original Poster
yeah, they're always supervised and we never let the dog get too energetic. hes a tiny chihuahua so it not like im talking 150 lb great dane. I have recently taken to telling him not to give the dragon kisses though, not so much for the sickness but more because the last time he licked draco's back I think he scraped his tongue and it bothered him all night. Other than that the shine has mostly worn off, when draco is out and active the dog could hardly care and isnt so obsessive, but they still love to nap together.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great, I am glad that they get along.
Your dog scraped his tongue on the scales?
It sounds like everything is going well then. Let us know how things are going & if you have more questions.

Tracie

gmagee

Original Poster
Yeah, everythings going good with them, I haven't had to tell ben not to lick draco since that happened, kindof worked itself out. Hes a smart dog, learns fast, I think he knows now that it doesn't feel nice.

Ben hardly even notices him now when I let draco roam around now - he just likes to cuddle with him on the couch sometimes after draco falls asleep on my lap sometimes he slinks off to the rest of the couch I figure to cool off away from my body heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom