What do I do??

This forum is for people to discuss the issues specifically around having to deal with infectious diseases such as Adeno virus or Coccidia.

What do I do??

Postby traceyb73 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:16 am

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

I need some input. Everyone seems to agree that with the stinky poop, Zoey has parasites. (she is 12 weeks old and was parasite free until a week or so ago.) I have a vet appt. this morning at 10, but it's almost $60 just to walk in the door, then they need to do a fecal, meds for the parasites, etc. If I went for the mailing a stool sample out and having it checked that way, would I still have to take her to the vet for meds? I really don't want to have to spend more money than necessary not to mention she HATES the car and it will seriously stress her out. I will have to put her in a box I guess to get her there and it's about 15 minutes away. I don't want all the work I have put into her to get her to trust me and flush it down the toilet when I could just send out a sample and not freak the poor thing out. Oh yeah, and I don't have a fresh sample to give the vet. :((( HELP!!!
Tracey's babies
1 dog - (yellow Lab) Sully, born 8/9/03
1 beardie - Zoey, born 5/31/12
User avatar
traceyb73
Sub-Adult Poster
 
Posts: 885
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:14 am
Location: Western New York
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: What do I do??

Postby Goodtruant » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:59 pm

traceyb73 wrote:I need some input. Everyone seems to agree that with the stinky poop, Zoey has parasites. (she is 12 weeks old and was parasite free until a week or so ago.) I have a vet appt. this morning at 10, but it's almost $60 just to walk in the door, then they need to do a fecal, meds for the parasites, etc. If I went for the mailing a stool sample out and having it checked that way, would I still have to take her to the vet for meds? I really don't want to have to spend more money than necessary not to mention she HATES the car and it will seriously stress her out. I will have to put her in a box I guess to get her there and it's about 15 minutes away. I don't want all the work I have put into her to get her to trust me and flush it down the toilet when I could just send out a sample and not freak the poor thing out. Oh yeah, and I don't have a fresh sample to give the vet. :((( HELP!!!


Get a fecal done...either by vet or mail. Maybe you can call the vet office and maybe they can just do the fecal? Some vets will let you drop off a sample, just to have the test done, instead of getting an exam on your animal + the fecal. Maybe people have many animals and can't afford to bring them all in, some vets are sensitive to this. Although it's good to have some piece of mind that your beardie doesn't have any other ailments.

You can buy medication at http://www.beardeddragon.co/. Ask here for recommendations for the types of meds to use....depending on the outcome of the fecal test.

Good luck!
Image
User avatar
Goodtruant
Sub-Adult Poster
 
Posts: 818
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 10:02 pm
Location: West Seattle, WA

Re: What do I do??

Postby traceyb73 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:44 am

I had a fecal done through bd.or (Cheryl did it) and it ended up she had pin worms. She had 2 doses of panacur (a week apart). She was just about done with that and she decided to jump from my shoulder into the toilet :shock: (I'm 5'9"). So then she ended up with a respiratory infection. I think she wanted to see where her poop goes. :roll: It never ends with these guys!! Knock on wood, I haven't heard her cough in 2 days which is HUGE. She was coughing ALOT and clicking among other things. I was so relieved she landed in the deepest part of the toilet that I never though she could have inhaled some water...I was so worried about broken bones! Then when I finally calmed down after she did this, I had to chuckle cause it was funny in a way (once I knew she didn't hurt herself. She had to see what was going on in there but once she got there she just wanted OUT!!! lol
Tracey's babies
1 dog - (yellow Lab) Sully, born 8/9/03
1 beardie - Zoey, born 5/31/12
User avatar
traceyb73
Sub-Adult Poster
 
Posts: 885
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:14 am
Location: Western New York

Re: What do I do??

Postby Drache613 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:47 am

Hello Tracey,

So she is doing better now finally with no coughing?
How is her appetite doing? I hope she is improving & doing much better now.

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 38813
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: What do I do??

Postby traceyb73 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:00 am

Drache613 wrote:Hello Tracey,

So she is doing better now finally with no coughing?
How is her appetite doing? I hope she is improving & doing much better now.

Tracie

Hi Tracie!! :)

She is doing better now. I mixed up a new batch of the antibiotic. The first time I didnt' use hot water and the meds (powder from the capsule) didn't dissolve. So I mixed up a new batch about 3 days ago and since she is really improving! She hasn't coughed in a few days (THANK GOD!!! I'm knocking on wood!). She is still clicking occasionally but I will do the 10 days started 3 days ago. She is still eating, although she is going into a shed again. She sheds one part at a time and only gets a week in between...poor girlie! I am not so sure the panacur took as her poop still stink to high heaven. Deb said that it could be stinky from her having a URI. If it is still stinky when she is done with the URI I might give her another round of panacur then get another fecal done and hope it's gone.

Tracie, I can't thank you enough for your help. You are a great person and so knowledgeable. :D

I will PM you in a few days and let you know how she is doing...hopefully the clicking will be gone soon. She has however not done any clicking so far today. Hopefully it's over!
Tracey's babies
1 dog - (yellow Lab) Sully, born 8/9/03
1 beardie - Zoey, born 5/31/12
User avatar
traceyb73
Sub-Adult Poster
 
Posts: 885
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:14 am
Location: Western New York

Re: What do I do??

Postby RelentlessChaos » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:05 pm

I thought stinky poop was normal.... I just thought that weird looking runny poop or not formed poop was a sign of parasite/infections. Each fresh dropping my dragon has stinks... soooo ?? O.o
User avatar
RelentlessChaos
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 660
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:45 pm
Location: CA

Re: What do I do??

Postby StreetMoggy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:20 pm

RelentlessChaos wrote:I thought stinky poop was normal.... I just thought that weird looking runny poop or not formed poop was a sign of parasite/infections. Each fresh dropping my dragon has stinks... soooo ?? O.o


It could depend on what they ate that day, if my dragon has ignored greens for a couple days, and i've let him feast on crickets then his poops will be solid and orderless.

His usual meals of greens with no water added, poops are about 'medium' moisture and solidness light smell
But, if I've misted his food with water, and given him a full out fresh salad mix with greens, green peppers, raspberries, tomatoes ect, then his poops are smelly and runny.
but really, i think it just smells like over ripe vegetation.
User avatar
StreetMoggy
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: What do I do??

Postby Travis1102 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:21 am

I'm reading all this about stinky poop becase Pete, my dragon, has really stinky poop too. It's typically relatively formed, but also usually has quite a bit of liquid with it. His diet consists of Turnip or Mustard greens (alternate each trip to the store) and dubias. He's eating well, growing well and shows no behavior issues, but his poop usually smells REALLY bad. The closest thing I can relate it to is the smell of horse or cow poop. I thought this was 'normal' as well until reading this thread. Is it not?
User avatar
Travis1102
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:45 am
Location: Austin, TX
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Dealing with Infectious Diseases

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users