coccidiosis & worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charmaine25

Hi every1!
New to this site everyone seems really knowledgable tho so need some help guys!. I have 2 beardies (housed separately), I noticed 1 of them last week wasn't really eating & a very lethargic, took her straight to the vet they done an x ray everything was fine & we sent a stool sample off which came back positive for coccidia & worms (I'm devastated). She has been prescribed Baycox & panacur (both Beardies have to be treated as they were initially housed together, but the other one is fine) to be fair she looks so much healthier than she did last week & she is gaining weight only small amounts. My problem is she hasn't ate since yesterday morning :cry: , & for her this is along time she would normally easily clear a tub of large locusts a day. She hasn't been eating properly for a while now she didn't really want to no locusts when I put them in front of her, but she would eat some waxworms (shock horror as this is her candy), I no there fatty but I would prefer her to eat something then nothing but now she doesn't even want these. I'm bathing her twice a day with reptiboost which keeps her hydrated but I would like her to eat something! Any suggestions??....
Thanks for reading

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Panacur does hit their appetite pretty hard sometimes. I would suggest using a probiotic, like Acidophiliz+, http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Acid.html, or if you cannot find a lactose free probiotic, you could try some soy yogurt, which also contains probiotic cultures. Ours seem to be ok with the berry favored yogurt. The medication kills all the bacteria in their stomachs, including the good bacteria that helps digestion, and overall health. The probiotic cultures will help put the good bacteria in your beardie, and increase their appetite.

Our dragon was on panacur 3 weeks ago, and his appetite still has not returned fully....although he eats a little more everyday. It takes a while for them to get over it.

Make sure you are replacing your substrate daily, and cleaning out the viv frequently. Bake any cage furniture that can be put in the oven, including wood. I go 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Keep an eye on wood, but I haven't had any problems with our basking log. I've baked it 8 times in the last 3 weeks.

We also fed our guy wax worms while he was sick....he'd only eat about 5 a day....they need the fat to keep their weight up. Just don't over feed on wax worms, as you know. Our dragon also seemed to eat alot more collard green when he was sick, but would skip out on most of the protein.

Good luck! Dealing with parasites is tough!

Charmaine25

Original Poster
Thanks very much for that I'll try & get some! Yea she is on paper towels which I change twice a day more if she poos, I have stripped back to the minimum she even has a cardboard house which I just dispose of daily, sorry for all the questions once she has all her medication when do i send another stool sample off? Straight away or do you have to wait? , also what's the best cleaning agent for the viv I have f10 which the vet recommended is this good enough?
Thanks again

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Wait about a week to send a sample in. You could use ammonia 10% water 90%. But for now I usually would follow your vets instructions unless it seens way off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom