Pinworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
So, today I received my DIY fecal float exam kit from beardeddragon.co. I followed all the directions, and everything was pretty simple. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Norbert has pinworms. I saw 3 on the slide, is this enough to require treatment? His bowel movements have been on and off loose for the past few weeks, and it's also pretty stinky as of the last week. I've also noticed he's been slightly less active the past week or so. Should I order some Panacur? Not sure where to go from here. Does he need a second opinion? Im almost positive it was pinworms I saw.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Oh, and I forgot to mention... even though he seems less active his appetite is still good, and he is still gaining weight consistently. (I weigh him every week, sometime more then once.)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Katie,

That is good he still has an appetite.
If his stools are loose, then you may want to consider treatment to knock them out in case they are the cause of the loose & smelly stool.
If you saw 3 worms was that just in the one initial view?

Tracie

wilddanny88

Juvie Member
Poor Norbert! I'm not really experienced with parasites but I was wondering how clear the DIY fecal float exam kit is. I was actually thinking about getting one. Hoping the best for him! :)

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hey Tracie!

No, I saw three on the whole slide. Does this mean I shouldn't medicate even though he's showing some symptoms? Or should I wait it out?
I didn't want to do anything without coming here first and making sure it was right,since I've never dealt with parasites before.

and Danny, the DIY kit is pretty clear. Its very easy to do, and pretty easy to read. I would suggest having the parasite chart right in front of you to help you identify anything you might see (hopefully nothing!). The only thing is that the microscope that comes with the beardeddragon.co kit isn't very strong, so what you're seeing is much smaller than the examples on the chart. It's not really a problem, especially for how cheap the kit is, its really a bargain. But if you can afford it, beautiful dragons sells the supplies and a few higher end microscopes.

wilddanny88

Juvie Member
I've seen those microscopes on beautiful dragons! Very interesting but a little pricey for me. lol But I will buy that DIY kit.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Im thinking about just going ahead and ordering some Panacur and probiotic, but Im not sure how much to buy (7.5 mL or 15 mL of Panacur?) Im also unsure about the dosing. On beardeddragon.co they have a dosing chart for 10% strength, is this what I want to follow, or no? Also, should I get the "Liquid Panacur Plus Dewormer Antiprotozoal", or just the regular liquid Panacur? Sorry for so many questions!

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Just an update. I went ahead and ordered a 7.5 mL bottle of Liquid Panacur Plus Dewormer Antiprotozoal and Acidophilus+ probiotic. Im still unsure about dosing, and also about how to handle the probiotic. I've read different suggestions about how to use a probiotic but Im not sure what's right. Should I wait until he's done the Panacur to give it, or give Panacur in the morning and Acidophilus+ at night? And do I need to get a CHE for the probiotic to be effective over night?

I should be getting the medicine sometime at the beginning of next week, and I'd like to start it ASAP, but as of now I'm still confused.
Someone please help! :help: :)

wilddanny88

Juvie Member
I've only ever heard of giving a probiotic 6 hours after you give the Panacur. But I'm not sure if that's right or not... :dontknow:

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I think thats what I read in an article on here, but I've also read other opinions on different threads so Im not really sure what's right.

wilddanny88

Juvie Member
Katie007":3644i5dy said:
I think thats what I read in an article on here, but I've also read other opinions on different threads so Im not really sure what's right.
Kind of like the differing opinions on beardie husbandry. :mrgreen:

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
So Norbert's appetite seems to be decreasing a little. He usually eats around 20-30 dubia, twice a day.Yesterday he only ate about 8 butterworms, 10 phoenix worms, and a few wax worms. Today he only ate 2 butterworms, 2 dubia, and a bite of papaya. He is shedding...but shedding doesn't usually affect his appetite like this.

I would really really appreciate if someone could give me some advice. Whether or not I should treat the pinworms, and if so, help me understand how to dose the Panacur and how to use the probiotic correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom