Munch - Pinworms, Coccidia, and Giardia Oh My!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikipop

Hatchling Member
Ok so we took Munch to the vet today and found that his fecal sample came back with >30 of pinworms and coccidia and 3-10 of Giardia.

He was prescribed Panacur, Bactrim, and Flagyl. I just want to make sure that the medications are correct and we are headed in the right direction. we have 4 prefilled syringes at .12ml of the panacur that is to be given once a week. We have Bactrim that is to be given .07ml once a day for 2 days then every other day for 21 days then we have flagyl that is to be started in 7 days and to be .10ml given once a day for 7 days. He weighs 540gms. (I think).... I am just wanting to make sure that this is the correct dosing so that 1. he is not going to get too sick from meds while trying to get better and 2. he is given enough meds to beat this.

My next concern is my 3 other dragons. I now have to get fecals for all 3 of them since they all run around in the same areas, (at different times) I know there is a way to do a DIY send off in the mail type thing, is it better to do vet visits or this DIY... None are acting sick but I still want to be sure that I nip this now with all and all have a clean bill of health so that they are not passing something back and forth...

One other question I have is how on earth does everyone steam their critter condos? Does it mess up the melamine? Is this safe? what is the best way to sanatize a condo? We only have one of our beardies in a glass 40L the others are in the melamine... any advice would be appreciated.

lilblack94gt

Hatchling Member
Steaming "Shouldnt" hurt the melamine. You just steam and wipe. you Might want to wait on others to chime in on that though.

I bought some cleaner from beautifuldragons.co that is for Coccidia. you mix it 1oz cleaner to 1 quart water and then use the solution to scrub the area and all items in the tank.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Those are the correct meds for the ailments. I just need the concentration of the meds, if you have them.
How is Munch doing? Do you plan on giving any probiotics while he is on meds?
I would definitely get a fecal done on the others, just to be sure they are in the clear.

Are they all eating pretty well, overall?

Steaming the melamine should be ok, just be sure to dry it out really well. Do you use paper towels for substrate right now?

Tracie

nikipop

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well each tank is set up just a little different. I am uploading a pic to help explain. I have tile/melamine floor for the 3 condos and papertowel for the 40L
20120713_081756.jpg

Munch (6mo) 540 grams. His appetite was crazy big and he ate like a monster (dubias, superworms, and assorted greens) until 2 weeks ago.
20120701_132658.jpg

Boing (5mo) 273 grams. Her appetite is good. (Dubias, occational wax worm and collards mostly becuase she wont eat the others)
20120625_163519.jpg

Squishy (4mo) 107 grams. He is a piggy too. (Dubias, occational wax worm, and assorted greens)
20120629_152100.jpg

Zelda (9mo) 437 grams. She is PICKY! she is a pain. She is also sassy. If i am lucky she will eat a couple of super worms a day and her dry salad from the night before. about once every 2 weeks she will eat a couple dubia. I have to mix her calcium into baby food to get her to take it and she will only take that once or twice a week. I have tried liquid and powdered. If her bugs are injected with calcium she spits them out once she bites them. If they are dusted she refuses them. So we fight with food and calcium with her...
20120501_150807.jpg

I ordered the probiotics from beatifuldragons website last night so I will start that when it comes in. I am struggling to figure out how to keep the tanks warmer at night though. we cool the house down by opening windows and doors and the blessing has been that the heaters turn off in the tanks... It is going keep the living room hot! I also only have dimmers for one set of lights so will be switching them nightly to the night time ones... :(

When I took Munch into the vet she said she never would have known that he had parasites. I was actually on the fence about taking him in becuase aside from his appetite drop and smelly poop (not much too much worse than zelda who had a clean fecal) I would have never guessed anything was wrong. He is still acting like nothing is wrong. I am hoping that the meds don't make him too unhappy. He is a very chill and happy lil' guy that likes to go everywhere with me.

nikipop

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So started cleaning today and I was only able to get Squishy to poo so we have to wait until Monday for Zelda and Boing to be checked and Tuesday for results... Sometimes the weekend is not my friend. We started Munch on his first dosesa of meds and he didn't eat his dinner. Hopefully he will want something in the morning. I am glad we caught it before it got too bad too, I am wondering if we should've gone ahead and done it sooner anyways. It was definitely a long day of sanitizing and there is more to do tomorrow. Thanks for the replies. Sometimes it helps just to know someone is listening.

Just thought I'd share a fun loving Munch baby pic.
Munchu.jpg

SpitFyre

Sub-Adult Member
That's a great picture. :D I love your beardies' names! I keep wanting to pronounce Boing's name like Boeing, the aerospace company. :laughing6:
Squishy made me think of Dory and the jellyfish, Squishy, in Finding Nemo. "OW! Bad Squishy! Bad!"

Happy to listen. This sounds as though it will turn out well.

How is Munch this fine gloomy morning?? (At least where I am)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did you get the concentration of the meds yet so I could double check the dose on them?
The tank setup looks nice & bright. How are things going today with him?
Are you giving probiotics right now while he is on meds?

Tracie

nikipop

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The concentration is panacur .50 cc Bactrim 240 Mg/5ml and the flagyl is 200Mg/ml.

Yeah squishy's name is from finding Nemo. Boing got her name from being a jumper. She sorta springs out of your hands so we we named her the sound 'boing'. Munch is a monster eater and Zelda was named by m y son. who is a video game fanatic...

I forgot to mention Munch is taking his meds via injected wax worms and so far he ate breakfast. He seems to be taking it all in a stride so far. I have ordered a probiotic and it should be here by Wednesday I will be starting him on it as soon as it comes in.

nikipop

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Quick question also... Since it won't be untiL at least Wednesday that I get the acidophiliz will soy yogurt work in the mean time and which flavors are good?

nikipop

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So today Munch didn't want to eat :( we got some baby food squash into him and a little bit of plain soy yogurt. He doesn't like the dropper much. But on the bright side today was the first day ever he asked to get out of his tank... He has always been content to stay inside. I took him out for a bath and some sun time. He is funny though... He doesn't seem to enjoy just sitting outside like the others do. He gets all stiff and alert like. He won't even move if I change his position. He loves riding on my shoulder in the car or going for a walk or to stores and such but not just sitting.

Boing has decided not to eat today as well. We will be taking her fecal sample in tomorrow with zeldas.

Squishy seems the same as always eating like a machine and curious as ever...

Zelda on the other hand has decided to eat more than normal and she seems thirsty like crazy. I have given her 2 full syringes of water. 1 full syringe of squash, chicken, calcium, mix and a half a syringe of soy yogurt after she ate 6 large dubias... Very out of character for her too... So it was a baffling day to say the least and of course any changes have me worried at this point.

nikipop

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Another trip to the vet today. We took Boing's and Zelda's fecal sample in and also had an exam for Zelda. I got worried this morning when I noticed her breathing with her mouth parted again and she had blown a little bitty bubble on the side of her mouth when I went to check on her. She has been breathing like that for a little over a week but it was only a tiny little bit open at first when she was sleeping so i just thought she was just relaxed. When she did it more and more I figured it was time for a visit. Especially with everything else going on. The doctor said that her physical exam looks good but she is breathing a bit harder than she should be and since she has been mouth breathing she thought it might be good to do a round of baytril on her. I went ahead and picked it up but am worried that I might be over-reacting. so.. treat or no?

Squishy came back with 3-10 on pinworms. The vet said our choice to treat. My husband wants to try reptaid. Panacur or reptaid?

We are still waiting on Zelda and Boing fecal results. Hopefully they will be good news like Squishy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is not too bad of a count on the pinworms. Maybe you could try reptaid to see if it beings the levels down. Is her appetite good right now?
What are your nighttime temperatures & humidity?
What about during the day, what are the temperatures on the basking area?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom