Saphira has parasites, help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsnsan

Juvie Member
I have had Saphira for 5 weeks, and decided it was time to take her for a vet visit. She was 8 inches old when I got her from the pet store. She has grown 2 inches. So, she's a little over 10 inches, and 66 grams. She's eating great, acts totally fine, poops every day in her bath, but I just felt like she should be gaining more weight...and her poop was a bit stinky. So off we went to the vet.

Anyway, the vet just called and left me a message...as they are actually closed until Monday for the 4th of July.
She said that Saphira has pin worms and coccidia, and will defiinitely need meds. I'm so bummed!!! :cry:

She never poops in her viv..only in her daily bath. So, after my initial viv cleaning and steaming, do I need to continue to steam it? Or only if I come home to a poop for some reason? What's the best way to deep clean the viv? She's on tile, has one giant basking rock, and of course her food dishes.

How long are they usually on meds? What is the best way to dispense them?
A little off topic, but how old do you think she is based on size, how long I've had her, where I got her? (I know every dragon is different) I'm not sure how old they are when they arrive at Petco. Mostly I'm asking because I'm really worried that her growth will be stunted. Do you think she will catch up.

One last question.. What do you guys use for probiotics? Do you use them before, during, after treatment? Where do you get them?

So sorry for all of the questions! I'm a bit frazzled, so if I've made myself unclear please let me know. Thanks!!

jsnsan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I've been on beardeddragons.co. I bought some Acidophilus, Some Coccicidial Disinfectant, a DIY fecal float kit...lord have mercy, look at all the goodies!! I'm slowly answering some of my questions, but still looking for some input from you guys.
Thanks!

jsnsan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Also probably jumped the gun and bought some Panacur and some Toltrazuril 2.5% for baby dragons.
Which should I do first, the Panacur? Or did I totally bomb it by jumping the gun...I tend to do that :oops:

jsnsan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So treat one at a time then. Coccocidia first, then pinworms. How about the probiotics? Does she get that with every treatment?

ynevar

Juvie Member
I am not an expert so I will just share my experience and I guess I will find out if I have been doing a good job when I go back to my next vet visit with my babies.

I steam clean the heck out of the vivs with every poo. I am not sure, but I would do the bath container after every poo.

What has your vet said? I would ask Tracie, she has helped me a lot with my babies and handling some of the questions I had with their care.

I am glad your baby is growing, mine weren't.

Mine are finally starting to grow and just finished their round of treatment.

I gave my lil guys the Acidipholiz every day, in the evening. I used an under tank heat pad on the side of their tanks, high up, at night to keep them warm. I think you can can a ceramic heat emitter to do it. The heat helps the acidopholiz work best.

I would switch to paper towel if you can, as substrate.

I cleaned everything with an ammonia clean the first time, and then daily with the steam cleaning. I also used temp basking spots that I could dispose, cardboard boxes.

If you read my coccidia thread, you'll see how stressed I was too. I totally know what it's like. Feel free to PM me.

Wishing you all the best.

jsnsan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The vet hasn't said much yet, except the counts were high and we will need antibiotics. Can't get them till Monday, as they are closed....I ordered my own anyway. So, is it safe to assume that after the initial sanitizing, as long as she only poops in the bath, I won't have to do another deep clean in the viv?

ynevar

Juvie Member
I would take all non essential things out of the viv, that is just keep a basking spot/cardboard hide, use paper towels for substrate and clean it every day after every poo. Any wood, I would bake in an oven at 250 for 30 minutes. I wouldn't put it back in until you know she is clear of parasites.

I just read your post and realized you are in Anch. I am in Juneau!

I don't know about you, but I was so stressed about reinfection (still am) that I did a major steam clean every time there was a pooh. Needless to say it was a full time job most days.

I should hear about my lil guys this week.

trinity040400

Juvie Member
Even if he poops in the tub I would at least keep him on paper towel. I guess you wouldnt have to steam clean after the first time if he doesnt poop in his viv but i would still do it just in case.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
3 days ago had Geico to the vet for tapeworms..vet gave him a shot of droncit...seems to have cleared up the tapes thank heavens...before that he had some watery diarreah so did a fecal and he had coccidia and pinworms....the panacur cleared out the pins as the vet saw none and no coccidia 3 days ago...2 doses of the Toltrazuril apparantly cleared out the coccidia..vet said the levels from +4 were so low she couldnt get a count...so with both the panacur and Toltrazuril and his droncit injection he is worm free....I gave Geico 0.01 of panacur in the am and a drop of acidopholiz then his Toltrazuril in the evening and he seemed to tolerate it well. hope this helps. yes keep the tank spotlesss everyday..my vet told me this: that pins can hang around outside the vent and if you dont clean everyday he can just keep reinfecting himself :( so steamed everyday and paper towels were put in plastic bags and disposed of along with his shoebox basking spot and shoebox hide

Tonja

BD.org Addict
right now hes a little stressed but just ate 4 hornworms and 12 crickets...so his appetite is coming back..but now hes turning white and ready to shed...so his appetite isnt what it should be...hes doing fine and so will Saphira :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom