Adenovirus Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Im currently awaiting Adenovirus testing results from Tracie, and in the mean time I've been extremely nervous. To try and pacify some of my nervousness I've been researching symptoms in Juveniles. I know that some dragons might not show any symptoms at all, but it still helps to ease my mind that, of the known symptoms that could possibly manifest, Norbert doesn't have any.

I also remembered seeing something on Daichu's website (the breeder I purchased Norbert from) about Adenovirus. I went and checked and it said this:
"Our breeders and currently available dragons have not been tested for adenovirus. Adenovirus is believed to be present in many/most bearded dragons, including ours. For those of you who wish to test - a positive tested animal may be returned to us within 6 weeks and a refund issued for the purchase price. *We do not refund shipping fees or testing costs."

So here's my question. They said that the virus is present in most bearded dragons. How true is that? I wasn't under the assumption that it was so common, and the phrase "including ours" makes me nervous. Is Adenovirus as likely as they're making it seem?

Im probably just being overly paranoid, Im just feeling pretty anxious awaiting Norbert's results. I want so bad for him to be healthy and live a very long life, and I also plan to, if he's virus free, to get another beardie in the near-ish future.

Edit:

I don't know if this is appropriate to say or not...but I'm really getting worried. I was searching though different forums and found out that Daichu has been getting a bad reputation for knowingly selling Adenovirus positive beardies. Does anyone know anything about this?

(If that edit was inappropriate for whatever reason please remove it, I don't want to get in any trouble..lol)

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you! :) I hope someone comes along with some knowledge. I think I just want to talk about these worries because Im feeling so nervous! lol

morphmom

BD.org Addict
I wish I had the answers. Adenovirus is just something I haven't had to deal with. I do know what it's like to be worried sick though. We all do it. It means you care. Caring people, make the best beardie moms. Big pat on the back for you :wink:

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Haha thanks! He's my first and I've been trying to make every aspect of his super spoiled life absolutely perfect. :)

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Anybody? Im really just looking to talk with people who have some knowledge on Adenovirus about this. Im super nervous. :(

Dooter

Sub-Adult Member
I have absolutely NO idea about adenovirus.

I read that little blurb on Dachiu's website, and I really want to know what they are talking about - most dragons have it? ...I kind of don't buy that. :|

Have you tried calling them to find out exactly what they mean by that statement?

I really hope Norbert's results come back negative!

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Tracie is actually who set me up with the testing. She's been helping me a lot, I don't want to bother her with my worries. Especially since nothing's really wrong. Reading that on Daichu's website just kind of freaked me out because it kind of made it seem like they were admitting to having Adeno positive beardies.

I've been reading mixed information about how common the virus is, but a lot is contradictory. I think its because so many articles are old. Most still stay it can't be detected in a live beardie. Some articles also say that, while there is no medical "cure" a beardie can fully recover and no longer test positive after a time of being supplemented with various immune system boosting things. That makes me feel a little better if its true, but I only read that from one article.

Ahh I think I just need to calm down. Im freaking myself out for probably no reason. :-?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Katie,

You can ask any questions!
As far as Adeno, the breeders are completely incorrect when they tell potential buyers that all dragons have Adeno or it is present in all dragons. It is entirely false.
Not all dragons have it, but if you have a negative & it comes into contact with a positive one then there is a chance that it may contract it.
I am in the process of gaining more information about whether or not they shed the virus as I have someone doing some retesting for me, etc. I am unable to report on the data yet since it is still inconclusive.
I hope to have some great news within another year or so that will help answer more questions!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom