Need help with coccidia count

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinity040400

Juvie Member
I did an at home fecal float on Tohru today and found coccidia and 1 pinworm egg. I am always reading that you should treat 4+ count but what does that mean? The only symptom he has is he doesnt eat much at all, it was really hard to get a fecal sample because he hasnt been eatting. He will still eat his super worms but will only eat his greens to find the worms.

This would be the second time he has had coccidia and im not sure i got rid of it the first time. I was thinking about giving him some benibac first and see if it helps with his eatting problem.

So if there is anyone out there who knows how they do the counts on coccidia I could really use the help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If the count of coccidia is 3-4+ usually it is treated especially if your dragon has been lethargic or has no appetite.
What is your lighting like? Are you using UVB lighting?

Tracie

trinity040400

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He is also shedding which could be why he isnt eating really well. I have started giving him the acidophiliz+ from beautifuldragons.com which he really loves.

ynevar

Juvie Member
How many of the coccidia did you see (in one view) and at what magnification were you at? I think that's what they refer to when they say 4+? Tracie am I wrong?

I also read this thread which might have some helpful information for you?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=95992

Thanks and hope your beardie is okay. I am currently treating my two beardie babies with Albon after taking them to the vet.

Do you have a steam cleaner? What have you been doing to the enclosure to address the coccidia and is your beardie on medication?

Hope all is well.

trinity040400

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have not started the medication yet because I wanted to find an answer to my question first. He doesnt have any of the symptoms really right now so that is why I am asking. And yes I have a steamer that I use to clean his cage.

ynevar

Juvie Member
I could be entirely wrong on this, but this is what I have found on coccidia counts. I have looked at this info myself because my two babies have coccidia and I have done research to try and find out more about it.

When you did your fecal float, and looked at it under the microscope you saw 1 pinworm egg on the slide. You also saw coccidia. In one view of the slide (not the entire slide) on average, how many coccidia did you see? Were there more than you could count per view? Were there just a few? When they talk about counts I think they are talking about how many coccidia are seen per view on the slide, at 100x magnification. I could be totally wrong about this.... but this is just from what information I read. So if you saw 30 or more, the count would be 30+. If you saw 2 per view it would be 2. I hope someone else who has experience with this chimes in.

Are you near a vet that might be able to help answer these questions for you? Have you retested the fecals? Might be a good idea to get the a fecal check done by a vet again and see if meds are needed.

I am glad you have a steam cleaner. It has saved me from carrying two enclosures upstairs to the tub and the smell of ammonia. (I did that once and went out and bought my steamer LOL).

Best of luck to you.

trinity040400

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the info even if you are not sure it is something to work with. I lucked out with the steam cleaner because my mom got one from a friend for free before i got my dragons. I need to do the test again but I am waiting for a shipment of fecal floats in the mail.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
If you confirm the high coccidia counts, then I would highly recommend using Toltrazuril (Baycox) to treat it this time around. You can buy it cheap here >>> http://www.beardeddragons.co/beardeddragon/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=217 My dragon Lotus had a really stubborn case of high coccidia counts (no idea how to help you interpret the counts, sorry). Even 2 weeks of Albon didn't make a dent in the coccidia. Tracie recommended the Toltrazuril to me, and 3 doses later Lotus has a ZERO coccidia count. The counts don't need to be at zero though, as long as the counts are low coccidia is fairly normal & not really worth harsh treatments. I can say that the Toltrazuril was much easier on my dragon's system than the Albon was. Make sure you use probiotics every day when treating with any medication though. Keep us updated, and good luck!

P.S. I'm sure Cheryl at http://www.beardeddragon.co can help you figure out how to read the slide counts for parasites. You can reach her at [email protected]

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is correct, it is per view on the counts.
Have you decided to medicate?
How is your dragon doing?

The steam cleaner works very well so if you have the opportunity to use it definitely give it a try.

Tracie

trinity040400

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I am waiting to treat him until I do another fecal, but he has really perked up since he is done with his shed finally! I have also been giving him Vitamin B complex and acidophiliz+ which I think is helping. Once I have done another fecal I will let everyone know, and thanks for the info about the other medication I will be looking into it!

trinity040400

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Did another fecal today and at 100x I found 27 in one view. So I guess I will be medicating him. I am interested in the other medication at was suggested, does it has bad side effects like the albon?

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
trinity040400":2tvdpn82 said:
Did another fecal today and at 100x I found 27 in one view. So I guess I will be medicating him. I am interested in the other medication at was suggested, does it has bad side effects like the albon?

My understanding is that the Toltrazuril is much less harsh on the system rather than Albon because Toltrazuril targets coccidia specifically, while Albon targets everything. Also, Toltrazuril only calls for 1-3 doses max, while Albon usually requires at least a 1-2 weeks dosing cycle. Tracie is the one who recommended the Toltrazuril to me, so you can ask her if you have any questions too. My dragons certainly seemed to handle the Toltrazuril better than the Albon, and it worked better too.

trinity040400

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah I think I am going to try it but I dont get paid until thursday so I have to wait to order it. Now can I use acidophiliz+ to put the good bacteria back in or should I use beni-bac?

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
trinity040400":v6yhkf9j said:
Yeah I think I am going to try it but I dont get paid until thursday so I have to wait to order it. Now can I use acidophiliz+ to put the good bacteria back in or should I use beni-bac?

You can use either probiotic or even alternate them for a good range of healthy bacteria. Just make sure you give the probiotic with food (with a few hours of lights on left to digest properly), and there needs to be at least a few hours between meds & probiotic. You can give the meds in the morning with or without food & then give probiotics later in the day when you get home from work/school. I gave my girls 3 doses for a super high coccidia count. Make sure you read the dosing instructions carefully or have Tracie help you - you need to have a precise weight in grams for your beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom