Diagnosed Coccidia - Prescribed Baycox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bltkpo

Juvie Member
Coccidia haMy poor male, Fawkes, is riddled with Coccodia. Our vet prescribed 3 doses Baycox. Our previous bout of Coccidia with my female, she got 10 doses of Baytril.

I am wondering what difference is? Is Baycox stronger, because the doses are less, and therefore harsher on their immune systems? Should I be supplementing Fawkes with a probiotic while his insides wage war on the medication and the Coccidia? I asked my vet this, and she kind of chortled at the thought.. =/

Any thoughts are helpful. I've been conversing with Tracie a bit in PM, but I thought I would toss it out here to get a few more ideas.

Thanks!

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
I think Baytril is a pretty strong med to be using for coccidia. Baytril is an anti-biotic while Baycox (Toltrazuril) is an anti-coccidial medication, and supposedly easier on their system. Yes you should definitely give your beardies probiotics when they're on any kind of meds. Give the probiotics and meds several hours apart to maximize effectiveness of both. Give probiotics with food, meds without. Try to make sure they're warmed up before and after you give them either. Hope that helps! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom