Second Opinion on Pinworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockHound

Hatchling Member
Hello everyone,

Sierra is about four years old now, and has been in great health. I had to leave her with mom while I moved away for school, and I just returned almost a month ago. Mom did an okay job, but Sierra didn't get any live prey while I was gone. Still, she eats plenty of greens and crunchies and has been active, eating, pooping etc as normal. When I got back, I started giving her crickets a couple times a week.

In the fecal I took in last week, a few pinworms showed up. The vet isn't concerned and doesn't even want to medicate her, which I largely agree with. So far, Sierra has not lost any weight and isn't showing any signs of being sick (acting a little agitated, but she's also shedding). I have a sneaking suspicion that she was only recently infected, and probably by the first batch of crickets I got her. They started dying off rapidly after a few days, which was already after I had started feeding them off, and they were pretty lethargic. I've stopped getting my crickets there since then.

Anyway, I'd like to know if others agree that medicating an extremely minor case of pinworms would do more harm than help. I figure if I give daily baths and keep her tank clean, they will eventually cycle out without reinfecting her. From what I've read on pinworms, they don't actually do any harm to the host and such a minor case wouldn't even be noticed without a fecal test.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree with your vet, for a minor infection of pinworms she shouldn't need to be medicated at all.
As long as she is eating well, active & basking, it may do more harm than good & just mess up here system more than needed right now.
It is normal for them to have small amounts of normal flora bacteria in their system.
Is her appetite doing well?

Tracie

RockHound

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the response Tracie! :D

Oh yes, she is a pig. She has been shedding for the past week, and yet she still eats like a garbage disposal. She usually finishes her morning salad in her first sitting and I have to make her another one at lunch, and she has been going through her crunchies like crazy as well. I won't even mention the massacre she unleashes on the crickets... it's horrifying! xD

Once she has finished shedding, I figured I'd just give the tank a good cleaning and sterilize all the furnishings. I'm glad no medication is necessary. It's so rough on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom