Parasites Galore

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayiaskepi

I had started a thread under "health" regarding my beardie Thorin's parasite issues. He had been diagnosed with high levels of coccidia and also with some strongyles. I had him on ReptAid (two rounds) and it did zero. I then put him on Toltrazoril....nothing. After a second fecal, the levels were the same, AND the vet found trichomonos as well, which I am unfamiliar with. I have been keeping his enclosure very clean (bought a portable steam cleaner which makes the job easier), although he has been pooping so infrequently (and usually in the bath) that it has not been an issue.

Today the vet told me that he needs three different meds to combat the three different parasites! He said to do one at a time for obvious reasons. There would be a wait for him to get some of the meds, so I went ahead and ordered panacur plus from beardeddragon.co . Has anyone used this before? It has both Panacur and Metronidazole in it. The other med he mentioned was sulfadin....something, which I was not familiar with and will ask about after this treatment.

Does anyone have any suggestions? He is eating (though not as often) and gaining weight. He is alert and is getting mucho baths and some probiotics while on meds.

THANKS.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Hi there,

I'm sorry your dragon is having so much trouble right now. :shock: That's crazy there are so many different parasites. I don't know a lot about them. I've only had to ever treat for pinworms in mine. I used panacur (prescribed by vet) and it did clear them out. Where yours has multiple parasites and needs so many different meds, I would PM Tracie-Drache613 about it. She may know something more about them. Good to have the probiotics going while he's on the meds! I hope Thorin starts to feel better soon for you!

Hugs,
Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom