Coccidia and broken trust :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Coccidia :cry: The vet says it's a low amount so I only need to medicate for 4days. It's not the treatment and crazy cleaning that has me down, it's the look in her eyes. Myah was a 'second hand' dragon. She was cared for 'ok' Her needs were met but the love was lacking. I've worked my butt off earning her trust and just when it was all paying off... Coccidia :( She looked so broken after I gave the medicine. I had to bribe her with silk and horned worms just so she'd eat. She even refused her favorite dish. (squash topped with strawberries) I'm so sad. She just stares at me like 'why mom, I thought we were friends' she also ran from me when I tried to stroke her head. It's only the 2nd dose! I don't know what to do :banghead: do I handel her so she knows I still love her? Do I leave her alone because the medicine makes her feel yucky? I feel like I've undone months of progress. Opinions?

scm133

Juvie Member
I found a easy way to give meds and keep the trust. I will lay back in a chair with Hugo on my stomach looking up at me. I mix his meds with some baby food applesauce, in a syringe. I put one drop on his nose. When he licks it, and sees that it is yummy, then I start dripping on his nose, and he laps it all down. It takes patience. Sometimes he will take it all, and sometimes only half. Then, I wait and give him the rest later.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
That's a great tip. Thank you. The issue is that Myah won't take anything off her nose. It just sits there and bakes on. :roll: I've never even seen her lap at the bath water. I have to mist EVERYTHING to keep her healthy. :| It's a good idea tho. :)

Valerie

Sub-Adult Member
I am in the same boat. She used to lick off her nose but then she stopped. I use the credit card /prying the mouth open and then pop the meds in. I always make sure she gets petted to nd talked to in a sweet voice. She closes her eyes so i think she feels better that I am in doing it in love. i think extra cuddles always helps.
My last bd was like that and she was on meds so much in her live thas after a while she would just open her mouth when i put a gentle pressure on her mouth. But w still had our bond.
Sometimes if you force some in their mouths and then put some on their nose,whenthey go to lick any left overs from the force feeding they will get more from thier nose and then they may continue to lick off thier nose.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks, it's nice to know I'm not alone :wink: . I've been giving her extra baths and special bugs (silk and horned worms) to help smooth things over :mrgreen: . She wasn't as upset today but I still feel like a jerk. 2morrow is the last dose. THANK GOODNESS!!! I just hope the next test comes back clean. I had even thought about taking tomorrow off of work so I can clean as soon as the mess happens. Is that crazy? To miss a days pay? I just want her healthy. This sucks so much. :(

Valerie

Sub-Adult Member
No, I totally understand. i have missed so much sleep over them. I catch myself thinking about thier health and well being. I have other pets but they [ the past one and my new baby] mean so much to me.
let me know how her fecal test comes out.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks again Valerie. I have other pets, my wonderful daughter and my loving husband. They tell me if they are in need. (sometimes quite loudly! :lol: ) Myah can't. It's just feel and observation. I think we have a right to fuss over our Beardie babies a little. :wink: I'll post an update, as soon as I know. I hope it's gone, the meds are kicking her little butt and I miss my spunky girl.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your little on has coccidia. Do you use probiotics also to help her little tummy feel better?
It will take some time for her to start feeling better, but she will still trust you even if you are getting meds into her now.
At least she is done with the meds though.

Tracie

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thank you Tracie. I have ordered probiotics for her just in case the next test isn't clean. (goodness help me if it's not!) I hope it comes in soon. I'm just glad it's over. Atleast for now. On a positive note; I have all the excuses I need for tons of mommy baby time when she feels better. :mrgreen:

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I'd love to hear Tracie's opinion on when I can expect Myah to be her good ol' spunky self again, but I can honestly say that her 1st day without meds was a good one. :) She ate a few greens for the 1st time in 3days and would take her crickets with hand feeding. I chose to just let her be today. She didn't 'ask' to come out of the tank, so I didn't push it. Her messes don't smell anymore, so I have high hopes for a clean test. Heaven help me if it's not!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Sorry I always forget to come back in this section!
How are things going? Any improvements yet in the appetite yet I hope?
Which probiotics did you order?
It usually shouldn't take more than a few days after the last dose of medication for them to start feeling better if they are well hydrated & have been receiving probiotics the entire time. Medications are harsh & do dehydrate them though.

I hope everything is going better!

Tracie

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thank you for checking up. I ordered the wrong probiotics. Forget what it was called now, the lady on the phone said it was for dogs :roll: I found soy yogurt and can get Myah to take it by putting a healthy drop on the backs of a few crickets. :D She's much better now. She ate a nice big bowl of greens yesterday and gave me a good huff, puff, and hiss, as I took her outside for the first time. (She was not pleased :lol: ) She's still not as calm with me as she was before but I'm ok with that for now. She's spunky again, and that's one of my favorite things about her. Calling the vet Tues, to get another test. Wish her luck. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom