Dino's YF... Rest Easy my Lil' Friend :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Hi Everyone,

My beardie is battling pneumonia right now. This has been going on since she contracted mites where I boarded her over Christmas/New Years. We are on our 4th round of antibiotics and if this doesn't work, (which right now, I don't see any improvement) my vet is talking about a tracheal wash. Anyone familiar with that or know if there is another course we can take? She's been on ceftrazadime injections 3 times and now on baytril (started with shot by vet, orally daily by me.) In order for the trach wash to be done, she has to be off antibiotics for 10 days. Honestly, I'm not sure she will last the 10 days! Any info would be appreciated. Considering seeing another vet for a 2nd opinion... I've already spend 600 dollars on her which is already about to get me DIVORCED! Trach wash is another 300 minimum... Any advice?? My poor little Dino needs help! She is so small, she only weight 187 grams, (my other beardie was 750!) She's around 2 years old.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Crumbs. I'm guessing you've tried the obvious - turning heat up, night heating, humidity down, monitoring drinking/bathing times closely?

The oral dose should help (as it'll go down the trachea anyway), I recommend critical care for the boosting goodness - and you can add some meds to it to a) make it taste nicer and b) make it go down easier.

Is she still coughing, wheezing, bringing up mucus? Also recommend when she's fallen asleep, turning her on a folded towel so her head is a bit lower than the rest of her body - helps the lungs drain better.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you for your input! Yes, keeping her tank extra toasty. She is in the "hospital tank", ask I call it, since she's been sick. (After the mites, her regular tank had to be evacuated anyway. It's still sitting outside waiting for warmer temps to turn the hose on to flush the bleach out of it completely.) I think putting her back in the 75 gallon tank would be a bad idea right now anyway. She's not really up for chasing her food. I make sure she gets water everyday. I let her lap it off a syringe so I know how much she's getting. She drinks eagerly every day. She was "coughing"/wheezing in between the 1st and 2nd round of antibiotics. Not "coughing" right now, just gaping to breathe and some wheezing, mostly in the evening before she sleeps. I've never seen any mucus come up either. I never thought to "drain" her though! Could I be making matters worse by elevating her head?! I've been propping her "up" not down. She seems a bit more comfy when I prop her up. I'll try the downward position and see if she will go for that. Thanks for the tips, I appreciate them very VERY much!!

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
Has the vet suggested nebulizer treatments? Medication gets directly into the lungs? Tracie...Drache613, a moderator here has experience with this.
Amanda

h

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow I am sorry to hear your dragon has had trouble with pneumonia!
I realize she has been on Baytril for several rounds, but have you tried the nebulizer treatments, they are usually pretty effective.
Ha, thanks Amanda, I did not notice your comments above mine. :D

Tracie

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Doc hasn't mentioned it, Dino has another appt. Wednesday, I will ask her about it. I find a lot of things that I've read about online, she has "never heard of it." *sigh* I'm beginning to think I need to see another vet. Sooooo frustrated right now. I understand RI's in reptiles are very hard to treat, but we tried the SAME antibiotic 3 times (ceftazadime) before she even switched to baytril. In the beginning she told me oral antibiotics won't work to treat this kind of infection in a reptile, which is why we went straight to the injections. NOW we are giving her oral meds? I don't get it. I think she's just trying the baytril because I told her I couldn't afford to do the trach wash.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh, the other problem she's having is with shedding. Her head will not she properly. Her body sheds ok, but her head is so crusty and no matter how much I mist/bathe her, it won't come off. Her eyes are crusty as heck. Her nostrils look covered over, one of her ear holes are blocked up... Is this because of the antibiotics? She's got 2 black spots on her tail and one on her left front foot. I always express concern about that to the doc too, "It's secondary to the infection." Really? Seems like it should be dealt with BEFORE it becomes a problem.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Have you posted pictures of her?
The crustiness on the nostrils is due to the respiratory infection but not the medication. Are you giving probiotics right now to keep her gut bacteria balanced out to help avoid yeast build up?
How much oral fluids does she get daily to help her kidneys while she has been on medication?
The black spots sounds like yeast/fungal issues, but a picture would help.

Tracie

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
set

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did you sign up for the photobucket.com account to upload your pictures? That is the easiest way, then download them to here by copy & paste type of method.
If you need more help, just let us know.
How is your girl doing today?

Tracie

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She's still gaping to breathe. She doesn't usually do that in the morning. UGH. Got a busy night ahead of me, going to the Bruins game, then off to visit my aunt in the hospital (she broke her hip, poor thing!) Next post will be a late one! Thanks for checkin' in on my lil' sweetie! I put my arm in her cage to get her dish out last night and she scrambled up onto me... awwww, poor baby! She wants some love & comfort from her Mama! <3 Talk soon!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Sorry about your little one.

I noticed your picture isn't showing up.
Here is a guide on how to post pictures here:
viewtopic.php

-Brandon

MissT

BD.org Addict
I dont have anything to add but just wanted to wish your little one a speedy recovery. Hopefully nebulizer treatments will be an option and they will work out for her :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom