Giardia,

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
I read on your site about giving probiotics while on the meds, I have ordered it and the Jumpstart also. I read the example about how to give the probiotic, meds in the morning, then prob. about 3 hours before bedtime, with there being 6 hours between the meds and the probiotics. The reptile vet I use has me giving my beardie, metronidazole in the a.m. , and albon in the p.m.. So how should I give the probiotics in this case to have the six hours in between?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear your dragon has giardia! The metronidazole should clear that up though, fairly quickly. Are you using filtered water for him?
Is he being treated for coccidia also? You could try giving both medications back to back, then give the probiotics later on in the day.
The medications should be fine being given close together, so I would try that to see how that goes.
Are you giving extra oral fluids too? The jumpstart should help him quite a bit also.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much for answering!! I use aquafina water for drinking, but regular water for baths. He is just being treated for giardia, but it seems like that last time he had it he was eating much better by the end of the first round of meds, I have to stop for 2 weeks then 3days of meds, then off again for two weeks then the last treatment. He is very active, just not eating his veggies at all and maybe a dozen crickets all day. I ordered the acidolpholous and jumpstart Monday, and it just shipped yesterday, hopefully I will get it tomorrow. I was wondering if it is normal for him to love to play in rain puddles, and if that could be were he is picking up the parasites? He loves to play in the puddles and even puts his head under the water! I live in southeast Arkansas and it has been warm and sunny almost all winter so I take him out in the yard every day for 1 - 3 hours. He likes to eat some of the weed type things out in the yard once in awhile too. Also, he, or she, like to get in the leave piles and burrow in them...is this normal?? Puff is my first dragon and I am trying my best to do everything right. I got him from Petsmart Aug. 10, 2011, he was 5 1/4 inches. He is now 17 1/2 inches. The best I can tell by looking at growth charts, and going by them telling me he was 6 months old when I bought him. I am thinking he was probably 6 weeks. I have learned that the people at Petsmart and Petco are not very informed about they're dragons. I truly appreciate any help, advice you can give me. I want Puff to be as happy and healthy as possible.
Thank you so much!!
Kelly and Puff

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Sorry, I didn't answer the extra fluid question. I have been giving him 20 - 30 minute baths, dripping water on his head and mistiing him. How should I be giving him extra fluids?

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
One more thing, Puff is housebroken!! He hasn't pooped in his cage for at least the last 4 or 5 months. He started acting like he wanted out of his cage, so at first I would put him in a warm bath and he would always go there. Then he just started going outside in the yard and has continued to do so. I have a big fenced back yard and he loves to go outside and sun and run around...he is so darn cute. I have looked at the pictures of how to tell if he is a he or a she. The vet said she thought he was a male...but I'm still not sure. Also, do you know if the females lay eggs even if they are not bred to a male???? Just wondering about that.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope he is doing well. How is the medication round going?
You can try giving him water with a plastic dropper or syringe & see if he will lick it off of the end of his nose. If he likes his baths, then you can continue those as well to keep him hydrated as much as possible.
If the water is not clean on the run off, then that could be where he is picking up the parasites. Does he drink any water out of the puddles when he is playing in the rain?
It is normal for them to want to burrow in things but I am sure he has fun playing in the pile of leaves though. That is very cute.
How is he eating now?
That is great Puff is potty trained! They are very smart aren't they?
The females will lay infertile eggs even if they are not bred to a male. It is a pretty common occurrence.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracey,

He doesn't start the next round of meds till the 14th. He isn't really eating any better, but I finally received his jumpstart and acidophiliz+ yesterday, so we will see how he does today. The rain puddles are just in the low spots in the yard while its raining. He seems to be pretty hydrated, the vet showed me how to check by gently pinching his sides to see how fast the skin returns back to its normal position and his is fine. He is alert and active other than not eating much. Thank you so much for all the help!!

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Not only does she get a drink, but she also puts her whole head and body under and swim around..she is so silly!! Sometimes I wonder about the water temp. too, its sure not warm!! But, she loves it. I was also wondering about the two weeks in between giving the meds? Could I do it differently? Maybe give the meds for 3 days then stop for a week instead of two?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You could give the Albon for 5 days, then take a week off & then hit it for another round. The Metronidazole should be given for at least 7 days at a time.
Are you giving the meds together now in the mornings? How is that working out for you?
How is she doing now, is her appetite still good?
It sounds like she loves her baths then, if she is swimming around. Some really tend to love swimming, too.

Tracie

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I took her the herp vet in Monroe and apparantley she is not very knowledgeable, but at least she realizes that and uses another vet in TN for looking at fecals. Should here something today or Monday. She is eating a little better AND we finally received her new UVB lighting yesterday afternoon. She sure loves superworms, but she did eat a few more crickets yesterday. I also mixed up some bearded dragon pellet food with some Pedialyte and gave her some in a syringe, which she actually seemed like. She is active and alert and doesn't act like there is anything wrong with her...so I am anxiously awaiting her fecal results. Will let you know.
Thanks again for all the help!! We truly appreciate it.
Kelly and Puff aka ( Monkey )

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
O.K. The results are back and she tested negative for giardia, coccidia, and all parasites. So I am thinking that maybe she is just bored with her usual crickets. When I offer her superworms, she gobbles them up. Have ordered some roaches and silkworms for her to try and I will just give her more variety. As far as the veggies and greens go, I will just continue to feed those to the crickets that she does eat, continue with her vitamins and calcium powder and except the fact that she, like all my other critters, is spoiled and picky! Anyone with any further thoughts, help, suggestions. please let me know. I am so truly happy I found this site, you guys are great and have been so helpful!! Puff and I really appreciate all of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom