givin meds

This forum is for people to discuss the issues specifically around having to deal with infectious diseases such as Adeno virus or Coccidia.

givin meds

Postby razor13 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:42 pm

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

Today i was trying to give my beardie some medicine to treat pinworms its a liquid medicne. It was a disater.
So i was wondering if there was a way to trick them or open their mouths. I tried to pry it open like you would do a cat but it didnt work. So if anyone could give some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in andvance.
razor13
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: givin meds

Postby chrisallen » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:39 am

Hold in one hand and hold their back against your chest. Using your pointer finger and thumb grab their beard and pull down. Using your other hand shoot the meds in with the syringe. Sometimes their mouths will open enough you can just shoot it in, others will open just a little to give you enough room to wedge in the syringe from the side. Hope that helps.
chrisallen
Hatchling Poster

Postby SamusTheDragon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:31 pm

you could also use a credit card and put it in their mouth and shoot the medicine in from the side. Like slide the card by their mouth to push it open.
SamusTheDragon
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby RandyMarsh » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:39 am

I use an eyedropper with babyfood so he thinks he's eating it. Then I sneak the panacur into his mouth while he's licking lol
Name: Franklin Reynolds
color: Marketed Leucistic, het for AWESOME
size: 430-something Grams
RandyMarsh
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby razor13 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:30 am

ok thanks il try those suggestions and see which one works best for me.
razor13
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby noella5088 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:29 am

I don't do any of the above. Instead, I manage to flip the top lid of Ali's mouth on the side, slip the syringe in there and press the plunger. He takes his medicine and though some of it dribbles out, he licks himself clean. He's a trouper when it comes to taking his meds. He loves getting rewards too. :)
noella5088
Hatchling Poster

Postby claudiusx » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:18 pm

Just a precaution,

You should be very careful when administering medicine orally to dragons. they can aspirate the liquid very easily if you just "shoot it down the throat"

What you should do instead is put the syringe in at an angle, towards the cheek, and slowly push the medicine out. You don't want to force it down their throats. They will swallow it if its in their mouth (well most of it at least :p)

-Brandon
claudiusx

Postby razor13 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:39 pm

Could I mix his med in with baby food and it still be effective
razor13
Hatchling Poster

Postby noella5088 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:47 pm

claudiusx wrote:Just a precaution,

You should be very careful when administering medicine orally to dragons. they can aspirate the liquid very easily if you just "shoot it down the throat"

What you should do instead is put the syringe in at an angle, towards the cheek, and slowly push the medicine out. You don't want to force it down their throats. They will swallow it if its in their mouth (well most of it at least :p)

-Brandon

Don't worry- I don't really force it down his throat. I aim the syringe to his cheek and he'll open and swallow his meds. I don't have much more to give except for one. The dewormer. I didn't even have to force too much fluids either. I gave him baby food and he was well hydrated with this.
noella5088
Hatchling Poster

Postby noella5088 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:51 pm

razor13 wrote:Could I mix his med in with baby food and it still be effective

I don't see why not. I've dipped his syringe into a glob of baby food on a paper plate. Well, he licked the baby food off, but I couldn't get the syringe to work. I tried putting some meds in some baby food with his food because he was fighting me. Nope. He didn't eat it all. He ate half. So I gave him his meds and then giving him something to take the taste away. Works every time. :)

When he took all his antibiotics, I bought him a dozen superworms. Well, he had two tonight because he was such a good boy. :)
noella5088
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Dealing with Infectious Diseases