An amoeba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prouddragonmama

Juvie Member
Ok fecal reveled my lil princess has coccidia and an amoeba
Coccidia I'm very familiar with, the amoeba I'm clueless on! The vet says hes gonna give her panacur for that but a breeder suggested flagyl to actually kill the amoeba! So help please

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Usually, for amoebas, Flagyl (Metronidazle) is the drug of choice to help clear them out.
The Panacur probably wouldn't do a whole lot, if anything for it.

Tracie

Prouddragonmama

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Tracie I convinced the vet to give flagyl rather then panacur ;). Of course he thinks I'm wrong with choosing that treatment but he said he'd do do it!!!
Ok do the dose he gave her was 1 ml. And sent me with another dose of 1 ml to give in 10-14 days
Does that sound right? She's 210g 15 in. Over a yr and a half
Thanks so much!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry I forgot to check back on you! :oops:
What is the concentration of the Flagyl?
Usually the Flagyl is given for 7-12 days on average. How is he doing now after his first dose?
Did you use any probiotics?

Tracie

Prouddragonmama

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She acting alot better since the ponazuril and 1st dose of flagyl no more grey beard ;) lot less grumpy then she was acting as for the strength the bag says metronidazole suspension 50mg/ml. (1 1/2oz)
so I dunno of that answers your question :roll: so she should the 2nd dose like today or tomorrow I that ok? As for probiotics my vet says not to use them cause they kill the meds but honestly I trust u more then he. He's not the best but he's the only local one :shock: Do yes I gave her probiotic

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The dose is 25mg/kg which is fine.
How many doses are you giving her? It sounds like she is starting to feel better now. At least her beard is not black or grey anymore. The Ponazuril is less harsh than the Albon.
The Flagyl is a little harsh though. The probiotics don't kill the meds but can interfere if given with them. Just give the probiotics later on in the day to help with the GI tract balance.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom