Treat pinworms/coccidia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erimis

Hi ! I've had my dragon, Humperdinck, for a week today. He is 9 weeks old. He seems to be doing well, most days he eats great. Stools are usually normal, twice the stool portion appears to be covered in mucus.
I am a vet tech- for dogs and cats! I have no medical experience with reptiles. I did a float on him yesterday, saw two pinworm eggs and 3+ coccidia. Since I've only had him a week should I bother treating? Should I repeat a fecal in 2 weeks and see if the numbers have reduced?
We would treat a dog if it had even one egg on a slide so it makes me nervous not to treat, but he's not symptomatic. Reading through posts it seems maybe I should just wait-maybe he its just stress?
Just need some reassurance, don't want to screw up on my first beardie!
Thanks, Missi

Erimis

Original Poster
I don't know if it matters but he has been in shed since I got him. He just finished yesterday. The few times he didn't eat with gusto I chalked up to shedding.

BeardedAaliyah

Hatchling Member
We waited with our Beardie, and she got severely worse. It took her about the same time to get better. Reptiles usually show symptoms after it gets pretty bad. They're pretty good at hiding illness. The sooner you treat your Beardie, the sooner your Beardie will get better.

Aaliyah lost a lot of weight, and had to be force fed, which was stressful for her and us.

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
I also waited for mine to show symptoms and he went off feed for about a week because of it. Don't wait (for treating the pinworms), treatment is really cheap and has very little effects on the positive flora. Coccidia (from what I've read) is okay at low levels and should reduce with the reduction of pinworms.

jewl495

Juvie Member
Honestly I would wait to treat because you can keep a close eye on things. It's normal for dragons to have some parasites. Order some parazap and some acidophilusz+ and feed some pumpkin everyday. It's also normal for the levels to go up a bit when You first get a dragon due to the higher stress levels.

prone2

This is really helping me out. Our newest boy just got labeled as haveing coccidia today! We have had him 13 days, and he has been feeding well and color really comming back. However he has had very bad poops! I when I say bad it's BAD.. So we took a sample to the vet (not the best reptile vet, be she is close by), she sent off the sample to the lab and now we have coccidia! So we are starting the treatments, but I was interested in why to give him pumkin, every day?
He has been isolated from the other 5 BD, so we are all good on that front. Any help or ideas would be great.
Thanks
Scott

jewl495

Juvie Member
Hello Scott I should have been more clear coccidia should be treated if you have high levels. Does your dragon have any other parasites? The original poster has access to a microscope and can keep a close eye on things. I suggested pumpkin for the pinworms. The extra fiber helps flush the pinworms out of the system. The parazap also helps flush the parasites out of the system usually by making the dragon poo more often. Often times when the pinworm levels go down the coccidia levels will come down to acceptable levels.

What meds did your vet give you? What were the coccidia counts? You should pick up a probiotic to give along with the meds. If you post your meds, doseage amounts, and weight of your dragon in a separate post others who are more qualified can help you out!

Hope this info helped a little

prone2

Jewl,
Thanks for the pumpkin update, I was ready to cut up the Mrs. Thanksgiving pumpkin! She is out picking up the probiotic right now. I will pick up the Meds in the morning with the lab report from the vet and will post it then. Btw he is 15" 252gr. I also am stealing my sisters steam cleaner for a few weeks to clean everything. Thanks again.

Erimis

Original Poster
Hi guys, planning on rechecking poop tomorrow. Haven't done anything yet, trying to let him settle in. Just got the reptaid to use if needed. He is still doing fine, eats good, poops are pretty good. A few have been extra watery but wouldn't call it diarrhea, guessing its cause he is eating more salad. He isn't eating the vegetables though, just the greens.

jewl495

Juvie Member
MissI,
I'm curious to see how your dragon is doing. Just to let you know we just treated for coccidia with Ponazuril and it wiped it out with hardly any side effects. However we still have a very small count of pinworms still that the vet said was normal and she doesn't want to treat. It's ok to have low numbers as long as your dragon isn't affected by them.
BTW I just noticed that you have a Ridgeback, how old? We have two, and I absolutely love them, they are the best dogs ever! I can't imagine not ever owning one.

Erimis

Original Poster
Update- poop still the same. Humperdinck still has normal poops but I guess I will try the Reptaid and see if that helps. I am kinda worried that trying to syringe it into his mouth might stress him out though. He is slightly skittish still. The dubia he eats are very small - I can't imagine injecting the Reptaid into them!

Julie- I have 2 ridgebacks a 5y/o male and a 9month female. I absolutely love them! they are polar opposites though. I am glad we got our male first, he is so calm and easy going. Bea is insane! She is always on the go, looking for trouble, loud and just obnoxious! But she is super sweet, an excellent snuggler and is just so stinking cute! I cannot resist her! I just hope she calms down soon

Erimis

Original Poster
Another update- have been trying to do reptaid. He won't take it from syringe, tried putting it on a dubia, had to go get crickets to inject. So he really hasn't had a good go at the reptaid but poop has been looser and smells. His fecal today shows coccidia worse, didn't see any pinworms. Decided to start Albon to prevent things getting worse. Thx

jewl495

Juvie Member
Remember to give a probiotic a long with the Albion and extra fluids as well. So your vet doesn't use ponazuril? Its a better option than albon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom