Getting our beardie to take medicine

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajwilbur

Our Rango has pinworms and another parasite that I'm going to get the details about tomorrow when I go to the vet to pick up another medicine.

I was wondering if it's okay to use a spoon with some babyfood on it and put the medicine on top for him to lick it off? I don't like the idea of forcing him to open his mouth and he never snaps at us to give us the opportunity to shove a syringe into it either.

Also, the vet said there was no pinworm eggs in his fecal sample, but I saw adults squirming in it the day before-is that normal? He still wants me to do the treatment as I saw the adults.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your post got missed!
You can use a spoon to get the meds & food into him if he will lick it out of a spoon, that is fine.
How is he doing now? Yes, if you saw adult worms, the treatment should be done right now. What is the dose of the Panacur being given?

Tracie

ajwilbur

Original Poster
np. thx for responding. i've been reading through all the older posts as well, as I'm kind of addicted to the site. The info is amazing on here.

Rango seems to be doing okay. His poop is now formed and doesn't stink the way the diarrhea did. He needs his bath or he gets pretty lethargic. He never really changed a whole lot behaviour wise, always ate a ton and has kept it up through the treatment so far. Well...there has been a slight change. Instead of around 40 crickets 2x/day to about 25 crickets 2x/day + his salad. The vet said to add beardie bites to his salad, so that might be why not as many crickets. We got him at 8" and in the 6 wks we've had him, he's gone to 16.5". He was 170g when we went to the vets and slightly shorter. Vet said he expects him to double in weight. He's still not quite as active as he was in the first week or two, but he has been in pretty much continuous shed too. As soon as one section comes off, another starts going. I'm assuming that's a good sign too.

He stopped licking from a spoon about 2 days in, so I do slide the thin end of a measuring spoon into his mouth to gently pry it open. The vet showed me where he breathes from, so I make sure I get the syringe right in there so he doesn't aspirate. He doesn't like it, but doesn't hold any grudges as soon as we're done. I give him his hornworms and silks for a snack after as a sort of reward :)

The vet prescribed fenbendazole (125mg/mL) .05 doses. I did 3 days waited 10 and then 3 days again. The vet wanted me to wait another 6 days and then come in for another fecal. Unfortunately, we had some unexpected major expenses and won't be able to afford it for another 2 weeks. I'm going to have to call in and see if I should dose him again in that time or just wait it out. Unless you have any ideas about that.

Now, like I mentioned there was a second parasite. The Dr. wasn't in when I went in to pick up the meds, but it is sulfadimethoxine. (250mg/mL) .05. That one was 5 days on and then every other day. I think it might be coccidia? I'm sure you know. I'm going to be checking with them on Monday when I call in to ask about the fecal. With the personal issues we've had lately, I haven't been able to call in sooner.

The thing I'm really worried about now is that we are going to be 1.5 weeks late for the 2nd fecal and I'm not sure if I should keep dosing.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like he is doing very well! Did you ever get a count on the worms & coccidia initially on the fecal?
He has had how many treatments now, 6? His stools are much improved as well?
I think that I would wait to get another fecal first, before going ahead with another round of Panacur.
Is he still around 170 grams now?
Let me know what the concentration of the Albon is when you get it. Do you feel that he actually needs it right now though? The .05ml is pretty close, just slightly over 50mg/kg if he is still at 170grams. How many days did he mention to go with treating after the every other day?

At least you are able to get him to take his fluids & meds without too much trouble, as long as he gets his worm then!
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom