Prolapse Surgery problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarecrow

My beardy had surgery for a Prolapse and he hasn't pooped in 4 days. The Doctor said the Surgery went really well so I don't think I am too worried about that. I fed him some pineapple and freeze dried crickets.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Pineapple is a bit acidic for bearded dragons. Are you bathing on a regular basis? 2-3 days a week for 10-15 minutes in 93-96°F shoulder height water? You can add a little sugar to the water to help ease the irritation/pain of the vent. I am unsure of the mixture ratio with the water:sugar but, I would bathe.

Scarecrow

Original Poster
Okay, I put a few layers of Paper towel over his sand, so their is very little chance of Impaction. The doctor said he could be stressed from the surgery. He has been a little more gittery and alert than usual. He had the surgery 5 days ago.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Scarecrow":15ij7lov said:
Okay, I put a few layers of Paper towel over his sand, so their is very little chance of Impaction. The doctor said he could be stressed from the surgery. He has been a little more gittery and alert than usual. He had the surgery 5 days ago.

I personally would removed the sand for a while till the dragon has recovered fully from the operation. The sand can harbor bacteria that could infect the dragon.
Have you bathed him, are you going to?

Scarecrow

Original Poster
I bathed him a little today, he was getting scared in the sink though so I will do it in the tub tomorrow with sugar

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Scarecrow":12if69kd said:
I bathed him a little today, he was getting scared in the sink though so I will do it in the tub tomorrow with sugar
Again I wouldn't imagine the amount of sugar is allot, I do not know the ratio.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

A good ratio for the sugar water bath is basically 2 tablespoons in maybe a quart or so of water, or less. The bath should be a little cooler though to help with any swelling right now.
As suggested, I would not feed any fruit right now, but pinneapple is citrus so it should not be fed. What was the vet suggesting as far as his diet right now? A soft food diet?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom