Coccidia treatment concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
I was wondering if anyone has lost a beardie AFTER being treated for coccidia and pinworms. I was just told by the place I bought from that they would prefer doing it in house w/ a 10 day/2 off/10 day regime. I'm opting to take to my vet whom I trust to do, but was told by the owner of the store I got Omni from that she could still die and would give me a new dragon either way. My stomach is in knots and after only 9 days am crazy for this dragon, why in the world would I bring her back to be taken to who knows where.. what a day!!

MissT

BD.org Addict
That seems like a long treatment regime. Iv treated pinworms with 2 doses of panacur 2 weeks apart and coccidia is either albon or ponazuril (ponazuril being the preferred method). I did albon for coccidia- 3 days on, 3 off then3 on again.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
10 days on 2 days off sounds like a protocol for reptaid.

Did they say what they are going to use to treat him?

If its reptaid, take it to your vet instead. Reptaid shouldn't be used to get rid of parasites IMO.

-Brandon

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I'm def. taking her to the vet, trying for an appt. this morn or tomorrow morning. They didn't say if it was reptaid. I was in touch w/ the place I got her @ that "specializes" in reptiles and they were very apologetic and wanted me to take her back to them & pick from a clutch that was bred there. I was pretty upset and refused that option. They said they weren't willing to reimburse the vet bill because they didn't know the vet so I had my husband call and he took care of it which of course was frustrating since he got a different outcome. I know he wasn't nasty to the owner, but basically said look, my wife is attached to this dragon, so are the kids, you need to stand behind your product so when people ask us where we got Omni we can tell them w/o it being all negative. That changed his tune and he did agree to pay for the initial bill, but nothing after that. He also said he'd replace the dragon if she does die, but I am not prepared for that to happen. I just wish that they would've tested before putting them out for sale.

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Went to the vet this morn w/ Omni and they gave her Albon after discussing it a bit. The vet does exotics only and told me the effects of the Albon would do no more harm to her system than the coccidia. He's been doing this for 20 yrs. and has seen it all and was very concerned, he told me that on a scale of 1-10 it was w/o a doubt a 10. She's only 17 grams and he was amazed that she's doing as well as she is. he of course wanted to know where we got her and said that the owner has a definite severe problem on his hands. I'm not looking forward to administering the meds (pinworm & the coccidia) and wasn't happy to strip down the structure to bare nothing. We'll see what happens next week when I get a chance to bring the bill to the owner of the shop, we'll have to wait and see if he keeps his word on paying up. Not looking forward to that trip...

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Just went back to the dragon store I got Omni in and the owner lived up to his word and paid me every cent it cost at the vet to treat her including 2 more fecal tests. However, he had the same babies for sale that she came out of and of course i was trying to be as discreet as possible so didn't say any of the things I wanted to say, namely that the vet told me it was the worst case of coccidia he has ever come across. I will never set foot in his place of business again!! Too bad, it's the only exotics place around except for the other side of the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom