acidophiliz during or after Albon treatment????

Status
Not open for further replies.

1beardie

Hatchling Member
My beardie has been prescribed Albon and Neocalglucon. I ordered acidophiliz but do I give it the acidophiliz during or after the treatment???? Also since it is taking the Neocalglucon do I still need to do the calcium dusting??? :?:

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I am unsure of the calcium dusting but, the pro-biotic should be given during and after. The antibiotic will kill of the bad gut flora along with the good gut flora. The acidophiliz restores the good gut flora helping your dragon to feel better during the treatment period.

1beardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have it on order and it should be here in a day or two.... I have some people saying to give it yogurt.. All I have is strawberry low fat yogurt.... I dont know if that is safe?!?!??? Or if I should just wait and give it the acidophiliz in a day or two??? The petstore just said the vet said to give it the meds for 2 weeks and it would be cured.... didnt say anything about replacing the good bacteria.....

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
1beardie":1zbuaycd said:
I have it on order and it should be here in a day or two.... I have some people saying to give it yogurt.. All I have is strawberry low fat yogurt.... I dont know if that is safe?!?!??? Or if I should just wait and give it the acidophiliz in a day or two??? The petstore just said the vet said to give it the meds for 2 weeks and it would be cured.... didnt say anything about replacing the good bacteria.....

Only yogurt that may be safe would be a soy based yogurt as it is non-dairy. Dragons have been studied and shown to not digest dairy products very well. Something you may find locally would be BeneBac I prefer the gel form. It is sold almost anywhere that sells birds or bird related products, BeneBac is meant for use with reptiles too as well as birds. BeneBac is going to do very much the same thing as the Aciddophiliz will. :wink:

1beardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's last does is friday so I am going to stop at the grocery store tomorrow and get some soy yogurt until the acidophiliz comes in. I don't know if it even has coccidia. I took it back to the petstore where i bought it because it wouldnt open its eyes after 2 days of me having it. I dont know how reputable the vet is or if it even knows anything about beardies.... if this does not fix this I think i'm going to take it back and just buy one from a breeder... from what I have been reading petstores are notorious for having sick beardies because of their uneducated employees on how to care for them...

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
1beardie":10c7uc20 said:
It's last does is friday so I am going to stop at the grocery store tomorrow and get some soy yogurt until the acidophiliz comes in. I don't know if it even has coccidia. I took it back to the petstore where i bought it because it wouldnt open its eyes after 2 days of me having it. I dont know how reputable the vet is or if it even knows anything about beardies.... if this does not fix this I think i'm going to take it back and just buy one from a breeder... from what I have been reading petstores are notorious for having sick beardies because of their uneducated employees on how to care for them...

I would say there is a fair amount of major pet store employees who are not knowledgeable or have not been taught well. They are a chain and ultimately do what is best for business. But, there is also an amount of private pet shop stores who lack the same amount of knowledge. Best thing to do is to build your personal knowledge base until you can make the best possible choices. I would recommend getting Bene-Bac gel instead of the soy yogurt. It should at the same time of being a better scenario also be cheaper on your wallet.
Hmm, I had thought PetSmart had bene-bac gel, I seem to have been mistaken. :?

Pet Co bene-bac link
http://www.petco.com/product/102266/PetAg-Bene-Bac-Beneficial-Bacteria.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is a good idea to give the probiotic in the afternoon after the Albon has been given & assimilated into the system.
Plus, he is all warmed up & the probiotic will absorb better when he is all warmed up.
I would give up to .5mls, daily, for the duration of the medication round & up to a week or so, after the treatment is over with just to ensure the GI tract is balancing back out normally.

Tracie

1beardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Im just worried that the vet that prescribed the meds is not educated about beardies
He prescribed albon once a day for14 days... Everyone else posting is either 3 days on 3 off. Or 1 week on one week off. And he did not mention anything about probiotics. it has been on albon for 10 days now. I have only been giving it for 4 and the pet store was for the other 6...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom