Coccidia question- whats your experience.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

danab

Hatchling Member
I wanted to get a little feedback from folks regarding coccida. I have 3 pet store rescues (2 are babies), 2 rehomed adult rescues and 2 babies from breeders. So far coccidia has shown up in 5 out of 7 of my beardies. Out of those 5, 2 are adults and 3 are babies.

2 adults = high counts, lethargy and one had blood in her stool so they are being treated with albon.
1 pet store baby has a 4+ high count but he is a total pig, growing like crazy and does not seem to be affected by it. Not treating him yet.
1 petstore baby has a questionable count but he is so small (he was less than 5 inches long but is now 5 1/8th of an inch) and recovering from negligence that I do not want to treat him yet and I'm not even sure how the vet would accurately determine his dosage and how I could correctly administer him such a tiny amount anyway. When I got him he could barely move and had severe dehydration and his eyes were messed up. He is eating pretty good now and is still improving but hes only 6 grams.
1 baby has a very low count and came from the breeder that way. She is eating well and not being treated.

All beardies are housed separately with minimal tank decor and shelf paper to make cleanup easier. I have decided to clean like a maniac with quats and steam, remove and clean poops asap. We wash hands after touching them or their tanks to avoid cross contamination. They are all getting reptaid, acidophils+ and electrolytes as supplements. All of their appetites have either improved (or in the case of my piggy stayed the same) and all have gained weight and are growing (the piggy with 4+ grew 2 inches in like 2 weeks and hes starting another shed now). I would like to keep medication at a minimum and avoid medicating the babies alltogether to give them a chance to get the coccidia counts down to a low level on their own.

If the albon and Reptaid helps them get rid of the coccidia then fabulous. If not, I am prepared to accept them having low levels of coccidia as long as they are healthy, growing, not losing weight etc. I have no intention of breeding and I don't want to needlessly freak out about it. Some folks seem to get really upset if any coccidia shows up in a fecal and are not satisfied unless it is eradicated completely. My herp. vet seems to think that complete removable is nearly impossible. I am also considering badgering him for a prescription for Ponazuril if I can't get it under control with albon (but I would still like to wait for the babies to get bigger before treating them with anything unless they start having problems).

Has anyone had a group of healthy looking beardies that had low levels of coccidia that did not affect them adversely? How about babies between 6-30 grams? My baby with the highest count is actually the healthiest in appearance and has the best appetite and the highest growth rate which makes no sense. Coccidia treatment seems to be very subjective but I would be interested in your experiences.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
My experience with coccidia.... The vet had prescribed me Albon. After talking with the breeder I purchased him from, had decided against Albon, because it is harsh on them.. Then she told me about Ponazuril. Ponazuril is very easy on their systems, and will KILL the Coccidia in 2 doses. However, Albon only stops it from growing.

Downside, Ponazuril is expensive and very few vets carry it because of othis.. Upside, my breeder told me about a website www.roadrunnerpharmacy.com. Your vet can call in the prescription, and they overnight your dosage to you.. I got mine for $39 and it was enough to treat my dragon, plus 4 other dragons (if I had them)... He is coccidia free after the 2 doses. I highly recommend Ponazuril instead of Albon.

danab

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
lauraj1055":4hvpoeyl said:
My experience with coccidia.... The vet had prescribed me Albon. After talking with the breeder I purchased him from, had decided against Albon, because it is harsh on them.. Then she told me about Ponazuril. Ponazuril is very easy on their systems, and will KILL the Coccidia in 2 doses. However, Albon only stops it from growing.

Downside, Ponazuril is expensive and very few vets carry it because of othis.. Upside, my breeder told me about a website http://www.roadrunnerpharmacy.com. Your vet can call in the prescription, and they overnight your dosage to you.. I got mine for $39 and it was enough to treat my dragon, plus 4 other dragons (if I had them)... He is coccidia free after the 2 doses. I highly recommend Ponazuril instead of Albon.

Yeah I have links for both Roadrunner Pharmacy and Diamond Back Drugs ready if I end up needing it and hopefully I can get the vet to prescribe the ponazuril. If I can get it, I am guessing I will be PMing Tracie for dosage help.

I am kind of just seeing how things go right now and waiting for more feedback from folks who have babies and groups of beardies with coccidia. I really don't want to medicate the little ones if they don't seem to be having problems and their counts are low (other than Reptaid). I'm probably going to shop around for a new vet if I need to medicate them all because the current one charges me $106 for the office visit and exam and $72 for the in house fecal for one beardie. That seems excessive. :?:

tempusfugit

Hatchling Member
danab":205tk45c said:
lauraj1055":205tk45c said:

Downside, Ponazuril is expensive and very few vets carry it because of othis.. Upside, my breeder told me about a website http://www.roadrunnerpharmacy.com. Your vet can call in the prescription, and they overnight your dosage to you.. I got mine for $39 and it was enough to treat my dragon, plus 4 other dragons (if I had them)... He is coccidia free after the 2 doses. I highly recommend Ponazuril instead of Albon.

Yeah I have links for both Roadrunner Pharmacy and Diamond Back Drugs ready if I end up needing it and hopefully I can get the vet to prescribe the ponazuril. If I can get it, I am guessing I will be PMing Tracie for dosage help.

I am kind of just seeing how things go right now and waiting for more feedback from folks who have babies and groups of beardies with coccidia. I really don't want to medicate the little ones if they don't seem to be having problems and their counts are low (other than Reptaid). I'm probably going to shop around for a new vet if I need to medicate them all because the current one charges me $106 for the office visit and exam and $72 for the in house fecal for one beardie. That seems excessive. :?:

I haven't heard of ponazuril, but panacur is also pretty inert.. I know some breeders and owners use it as a preventative on their babies.. I would be much more worried about a 4+ then the side effects of panacur.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Panacur is not for treating Coccidia.. it's used in treating Pinworms... Do a google search on Ponazuril.. It's the only medication that kills Coccidia, and it isn't harsh on their systems like Albon.

tempusfugit

Hatchling Member
lauraj1055":1c7vtvcc said:
Panacur is not for treating Coccidia.. it's used in treating Pinworms... Do a google search on Ponazuril.. It's the only medication that kills Coccidia, and it isn't harsh on their systems like Albon.

Ya its way to early in the morning for me to be giving veterinary advice apparently... lol

danab

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hehe I'm a wreck without my morning coffee myself. I actually have one adult male rescue on Panacure right now since he came with too many pinworms to count. I wish albon was as easy as panacure for beardies to handle.

danab

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
lauraj1055":34ni0701 said:

Laura,

I forgot to ask you if the ponazuril you got was liquid enough to inject into feeders? All my beardies love their dubias and I can inject them with just about anything and they don't notice the difference. If I can inject the ponazuril into a roach that would be easy peasy.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
lauraj1055":ii6sfr9j said:

Our little guy was just under 3mo old with a +5 count of coccidia. The vet literally said he had never seen such a high count before :(.

Laura gave me all the info on Ponazuril and I did the same thing; $39 etc. 2 doses! Gone! The vet was thinking he would absolutely need to do multiple doses of Albon to clear them us as best he could :shock: I did ammonia cleaning the first week and then got a steamer and ONLY steamed the viv the 2nd week. Fantastic stuff in my case for certain :)

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
danab":2ju2iydd said:
lauraj1055":2ju2iydd said:

Laura,

I forgot to ask you if the ponazuril you got was liquid enough to inject into feeders? All my beardies love their dubias and I can inject them with just about anything and they don't notice the difference. If I can inject the ponazuril into a roach that would be easy peasy.

Yes, Ponazuril is in a liquid form... I just syringe fed it right into Phred's mouth, the dose isn't high, depending on their weight. I believe his was .25cc when he was 245 grams... So, injecting into feeders wouldn't be hard since it's not a high dose.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
tempusfugit":3choyksm said:
lauraj1055":3choyksm said:

Ya its way to early in the morning for me to be giving veterinary advice apparently... lol

LOL

Prouddragonmama

Juvie Member
Coccidia for me has been in 1 word ......H***. :x Hunter has had a +4 count. I have used 1. SMZ no change....2nd ponazuril.... No change.... 3rd another round of ponazuril..... Still +4. :shock: I have kinda given up... :cry: He has never seemed bothered by it, never had anything less then a ferocious appetite, he's growing fine! Only prob is the omg smelly poo, and it's runny and he doesn't always digest his food! Hopefully it's better for you :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom