cleaning tank of ADENOVIRUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arctopus

I have a Bearded dragon positive with adenovirus, I have to get him euthanized tomorrow unfortunately, and I want to get another reptile soon. The question is, How can I clean my Viv of this virus so It doesnt get a hold of another reptile. Please help me If you know how to properly rid a Viv Of Adevnovirus.

thanks in advance ~arctopus~

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Bleach is effective against adenovirus, so mix a 10% concentration using fresh bleach. The mixed solution will be good for about a week, then you'll need to replace it. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes, then rinse thoroughly. Its also a good idea to clean any debris using warm soapy water beforehand, as bleach is deactivated in the presence of organic debris.
Adenovirus also has a lifespan on solid non-porous surfaces of about 10 days. So after disinfection, let the enclosure sit for a week or so. Setting it outside in the sun will also aid in the disinfection process, as adenovirus is readily killed by heat and ultra violet radiation.
If you have any cage furniture you need to clean, then a bleach soak (10% solution) would also work. If its a wood item, you can also bake it in the oven at 285 for 1hr...that should be sufficient to kill adenovirus. Make sure to clean with warm soapy water before hand to remove any debris.

Other disinfectants are also effective against adeno, however bleach is readily available and almost everyone has it in there house. Note however, that bleach has a shelf life once opened...so get a fresh container if necessary. As mentioned above, you'll need to rinse thoroughly after bleaching...no fumes should remain.

I'm sorry for your loss. I wish you and your beardy the best.

Arctopus

Original Poster
question.... is the adenovirus, for sure, in my viv. is there anyway it could have not affected the tank seeing how his poop never touched the glass?

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Its in there...trust me. Also, its not just transferred via fecal matter. It will be present in mucous and other bodily fluids. You just had an animal put down because of an infectious disease....you need to disinfect the enclosure before you get anything else. I don't care if its a gerbil that ends up in the tank...bleach it thoroughly!

Arctopus

Original Poster
Oh trust me I have disenfected it. 30 minutes of Bleach, letting it sit in the sun for 4 days, steam cleaned it, poured boiling water in it, Used wipe out 1. I am also letting it sit for 10 days =p

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
If your tank is glass, you will need to reseal the silicone as adenovirus can get between the silicone and glass and won't die. BTW, steaming does not kill it. It's a very hardy virus that is hard to kill.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
pscaulkins":phxari8o said:
If your tank is glass, you will need to reseal the silicone as adenovirus can get between the silicone and glass and won't die. BTW, steaming does not kill it. It's a very hardy virus that is hard to kill.

Steam will in fact kill it. And its not that hardy...
There is plenty of information about the various strains of Adeno out there, and all of them indicate that its not terribly difficult to kill. Also, if Adeno can get between the silicone and the glass, then so can the water/bleach solution. We aren't talking about Coccidia oocysts here, Adeno is a simple virus that doesn't last long outside the host organism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom