About to lose it with this dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
:angry5: :angry5: :angry5: My dragon Riza has had coccidia for over 3 months now:!: :!: Nothing is working :banghead: . The results of this latest fecal we just got and she's still at a 4 count apparently.
We can't keep doing this because fecals are $50 EACH TIME. I don't think these people know what they are doing. Riza is active, happy, and eating, her stools are well formed and not stinky. The downside is that there are no otehr vets that do dragons around here. :cry: I can't keep paying $25(I split the cost with my sister)./
I don't know what to do anymore
Riza also doesn't go to the bathroom in her cage, she goes in the bath tub, which we make sure to spray with a disinfector afterwards.
Nothing seems wrong with her.
I'm about to go crazy having no money all the time. I don't earn money(considering I'm 14) and I'm saving up for something else(Which I need $100+) and I can't do that if I keep neednig to pay for fecals.
Sorry for ranting... I just don't know if the vet is wrong or what we're doing wrong...

Coccidia is a nightmare! :angry5:
I spent well over 300 on fecals and meds. I finally gave up. His poops are solid and not runny anymore. I do carry albon and acidophiliz for back up just in case he gets smelly again. I give him acidophiliz every week in his pellets and been doing this trick for the last 3 months! He's gained 200 grams :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, please review the medication, the concentration (strength) of the medication & the dose for your dragon for us. I will double check that for you.
What are your temperatures in the tank?
What UVB are you using right now, a fluorescent tube bulb or a compact/coil light?
Where are you purchasing your crickets & or other feeders?

Tracie

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Drache613":2bgds043 said:
Hello,

Yes, please review the medication, the concentration (strength) of the medication & the dose for your dragon for us. I will double check that for you.
What are your temperatures in the tank?
What UVB are you using right now, a fluorescent tube bulb or a compact/coil light?
Where are you purchasing your crickets & or other feeders?

Tracie

We aren't giving it to her ATM, but I'm giving her a few drops of reptaid a day from the eye dropper that is also the lid. No negative effects, just to clarify that and she's well hydrated.

The medication is Albon and last time it was .13 ml and I don't know the concentration from last time.
The teps are 95-110(though I really try to keep it around 95-100, but I haven't been home that much for the past week)
The UVB is a Reptisun tube bulb we got in january/febuary
And her food is superworms and I get them from great lakes hornworms, but am also breeding my own.

We're trying to find a new vet for her and we don't want to pay another $120 on medicine/fecal combo just yet.

tanya1974

Hatchling Member
:p hi hun, i really do empathise with you , its really hard to firstly find a vet that really loves reptiles and another to find a good one that isnt going to rip your eyes out for money. i spose at the end of the day if your babs is looking fine then the end desition is yours, to me it seems as tho indirectly you have made the desition to leave it for a bit. trust you gut and i am sure you love your dragon enough that if it starts to look unwell you will have it to the vet pronto.... good luck hun and i hope everything works out for you x

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, we did end up getting more medicine for her.
It's still 13 units of meds(.13ml) but this time for 6 days on 6 days off and then repeat that 3 times. We haven't started yet since we're all in and out of the house and can't give it to her same time everyday. But this will be the last time we do this with this vet. If the count isn't lower(or the parasites aren't gone) and Riza is fine, then we'll leave her at that. :3

And if anyone can help me with something else that's not related to beardies, I found a garter snake in the middle of the road with a broken/hurt/bleeding jaw.
She's moving around more when I touch her and the bleeding has pretty much stopped, and her jaw isn't as crooked, but if anyone can give me any adive I made a forum on the snake section here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=146123

I'll post a couple pictures after I change the paper towels in Izumi's(the snake) cage.

kitkat101

Juvie Member
Hmm...it kind of seems the vet is trying to rip you off a bit. :? I have a dog(a very healthy one) and my dad and I took her to the vet and he was like prescribing ALL these medications for like stupid things. I know a ton of things about dogs, and there was for sure nothing wrong with her. :roll:
Go with your gut, if she looks healthy and her normal self...maybe stop going to the vet for a little bit. If something seems looking a bit...off, then take her back. :D

tanya1974

Hatchling Member
thats what i said kitkat. i have had a total nightmere with my dragons salmonella worms and yeast result and i have been backwards and forwards to my vet. i am there again on saterday , i stopped the last of my meds 2 days early because one of my girls was totally knockedoff her feet . i am giving her the rest of the week off all meds , she enjoyed a cuddle last night which is rare coz shes a grumpy sod lately , and ate 5 locusts followed by a lovely warm bath . i am following my gut for a little while anyway.. :D

kitkat101

Juvie Member
tanya1974":1qmabkoz said:
thats what i said kitkat. i have had a total nightmere with my dragons salmonella worms and yeast result and i have been backwards and forwards to my vet. i am there again on saterday , i stopped the last of my meds 2 days early because one of my girls was totally knockedoff her feet . i am giving her the rest of the week off all meds , she enjoyed a cuddle last night which is rare coz shes a grumpy sod lately , and ate 5 locusts followed by a lovely warm bath . i am following my gut for a little while anyway.. :D

Good! Sometime...all those docter meds can't help they just make things worse. Keep me posted on how your beardie is doing. :)

lynchy217

have you been giving probiotics at all to help her deal with the meds? also, how long did you try reptaid for? Ive never tried it myself, but i hear good things from most (but not all) people who try it...I believe 3 10-day cycles are suggested for coc..

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah, we've been giving her soy yoghurt... Sadly to say about once I forogt to give it to her and I was kiscking myself for it, but she's acting fine right now.
She's on her first 'off 6 days' round now. I think Saturday we start the next 6 days of meds.

The reptaid I have given about two 10 days on, 2 days of, 10 days on cycles for Riza and one for Scout(he seemed a little sick with runny, stinky stools. The reptaid cleared that up and now he's got firmer less smelly stools).
Plus their colours are so pretty! Scout's a BEAUTIFUL sandy yellow/brown with some orange and brownishred on his back and Riza's just a rainbow of light purple, light blue, orange, yellow, silver

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things with your dragon now, improving? It sounds like she is doing better now.
Is she still on the Albon, or did you stop giving that to her?
I had forgotten to respond last when I read your last response, but noticed she was doing better.
The dose looks ok, but how much does she weigh now?

Tracie

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I haven't weighed her in a bit. I can do that later though.
And she starts again today on her next 6 doses of Albon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom