results of testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanya1974

Hatchling Member
just waiting on aerobic culture and full parasitology screening to come back and i am concerned.... not sure to what degree i need to be at the moment,,, on the phone and the lab tect has said theres a positive test for salmonella some parasite not sure yet and yeast... can anyone please tell me more about the risks to my dragons more than with me... how is yeast present what am i doing wrong or is it like with a woman and is an infection.....i thought all babies were born with the salmonella virus and worms or am i incorrect.... all have been wormed with panacur and are regulaly at my reptile vet. but this is the first full faecal parasitology done....is it on a score count ????

tanya1974

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks for the help a greatly apreciate it.... turns out yeast can come from many fruits so i have to calm down on the fruits as well as other sorces . told from a dear friend in the u.k.. treatment is av pro plus and crital care mixed with baby food for 10 days... and i have round worm ,,, so the panacur bottles coming out... salmonella test is in normal range so have been told that my results were good for a colony... must be doing something right..thanks again for looking and helping me...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, yeast can be encouraged to grow from excess sugars. Some fruits are fine, but too much could contribute to yeast yes.
The critical care is great & should help her quite a bit with her appetite along with the Avipro plus product too.
How is she doing today?
The fecal results are normally on a scale & scored by how many eggs are present on the slide/grid. The scale is normally 1-4 being 1 the least 4 the most.
How many Panacur treatment have been given? Usually they just need Panacur one time per week for maybe up to 3 treatments, max.

Tracie

tanya1974

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hiya thanks for the post,,, it was a score of 2 and i have a colony so all are being treated just in case although i have an ocd regarding cross contamination.they are all fit and healthy and are showing no signs at all of illness in any of the 5 dragons . so i am doing what my lab and breeder have told me. i am hoping that in a couple of months when i do another sample all will be cleared. again thankyou for the advice

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things going for your dragon doing? Are you finished with all of the treatment then?

Tracie

tanya1974

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hi, thanks for the reply. i have had a bloody nightmere , al put results on first so you can see where i am coming from

salmonella - c1 Tennessee subgenus 1
yeast postitive +++
crytosporidium - negitive ( thank god)
concentrate - numerous nematode ova , no other ova cysts or parasites

took my lil girl and her sister who share the viv , cannot give drugs unless an animal is seen , crystal is showing signs of illness , not dominance or anything to do with sister. not gaing weight and her clour changes gives her grumpyness away. so got to the vets last thursday as a competant reptile vet takes at least a week or two to get to see them. Mark wanted to deal with the worms and salmonella first , so i am on day 5 of meds iiincluding panacur every day for 7 days , for the full colony ( i have 5 ) and criproxin for the salmonella until the bottle is empty. then he wants to see them at end of the month (when we have more cash ) and he wants a sample from each of the dragons to send away. then we are gonig to deal with the yeast , turns out the critial care and pro plus are nothing more than a pick me ups not a cure for yeast. sooooo i dont know who the hell to trust now... al spend what i need to at the vets for them . so i havnt a clue really to be honest. there not eating a great deal at the min ,, guess thats the medication but there poohs have gone back to normal which i hope is a good sign. i wouldnt recommend a colony sample to any1 , unless it is split vivs which i have learned a big lesson ...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing?
Are they on Cipro? How many more days will they be on it?
The critical care & the Pro plus are supplemental foods which help ill reptiles during times they don't eat. Are you still going to be taking them back in to see the vet at the end of the month?
Do you feed a lot of fruits?
The yeast can build up due to sugar levels being too high. Did they say what they felt could be the cause of the yeast?

Tracie

tanya1974

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie , they have been finished there meds for a few days nows, there poohing a lot less but its firm and looks good. there not eating very much at all tho so i dont know if thats the meds or the yeast. my heads mashed , there is no diffrence in the vivs temps or any of the set ups. the vet never mentioned the yeast apart from dealing with it after dealing with worms and salmonella , what veggies do you feed ? i really am at a loss at the min 2 be honest . what food would you recomend to put on fat , i am not happy with my male or one of my females weight , there not plump enough for my liking . thanks for the help i really apreciate it

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great they are finished with their medications now.
The meds will affect their system enough to change their stools for awhile due to dehydration, etc in the GI tract.
The veggies I normally feed are squash varieties for the most part, and bell peppers, too. Some dragons prefer just the greens & that is fine also.
Silkworms & hornworms are very lean & great sources of protein. Superworms are a great source of protein, but also have more fat than the silkworms & hornworms so you could feed some supers. I use supers on a regular basis for our adults because they do keep their weights so well.
Do you have any pictures of them?

Tracie

tanya1974

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hi Tracie , well its been 20 days from starting treatment to now , maybe because i am in all day and constantly have them ither on me or around me i havnt noticed any change in weights or looks. my brother in law was around yesterday and he seems to think they are bigger. i might be stressing over nothing , i am sure you will have a good idea of weights and ages so i have weighed them today .Crystal is the one who seems to be struggling and her colour is just dreadful unless she is being cuddled off me or in the bath , she seems so grumpy but yet she has allways been like this.

Sapphire 816g now 816.4g 3 years old
Mirlin 544g now 589g 10 months
Angel 453g now 453.3 g 1 year
Crystal 290g now 311g 6 months crystal and amber sister
Amber 396g now 453g 6 months

P2140043.jpg
Merlin

P2130035.jpg
Crystal

P2070014.jpg
Angel

tanya1974

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
just a up date for anyone who is or has suffered illness like what i have. All my animals have now bounced back bar one , the last thing to be treated was the yeast/infernal fungal infection which i was given ltrafungol meds. Turns out that the type is very rare and not be noted of here in the U.K , which my vet rang her sorce in U.S.A who has only seen a few cases of it and not in a beardie so am not best pleased. i wont know until tomorrow if they are clear of it. She says the problem is she has alot of info on dragons but with imports being ever more increasing it makes her job alot harder in identifiying the problems. so anyway all the dragons were given a quater of a teaspoon on crital care (which is really expensive but well worth it) mixed with chicken baby food. i weighed my last ill dragon this morning and she has lost 27grammes , tryed pleading yesterday for any help on E.R yesterday with 17 viewing and not a surprize no help.. from what i have seen in my dragons my largest female 917g was the first to bounce back and continued eating through all the treatments. And my smallest is the one who is really struggling 424g . I will post results tomorrow ... in the hope that i may help someone else in the future....

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is beautiful!
How is she doing now?
The yeast problems are somewhat common here in the US. They are not seen much in the UK right now?
Are you still giving her the Itraconazole medication? Let me know the results of the test, when you get it back in.
I would continue with the critical care, it is very healthy for her.

Tracie

tanya1974

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
saw vet yesterday , Angel is starting to walk around and more alert but still no change in appitite , critical care and baby food working like a treat . after a very lenghy conversation and featal sample checked the sistemic yeast/fungal infection is subsiding and is under control , there seems to be a break out in protozoa which like in us can live comfrtably without causing any problems , in Angels case with her having lots of diffrent things wrong and diffrent treatments these bugs have maltiplyed due to low ammune system aparently. Thats where the loss of appitite and mood change is along side the drugs she has been taking .Flagyl-s given orally and another dose in two weeks, to breack the cycle of the protazoa , then she wants another featal sample. if she goes down hill again i have to rush her back. Jackie said to ask you what strains of sistemic yeast/fungal infections do you get and a little bit of information about the drug you use in the U.s , As i said in a diffrent posting it seems that more new infections are brought in from over seas and the sistemic infection Angel had is the first case she has delt with or has seen here in the U.K. The drug we used on Angel was the Itrafungol.

tanya1974

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well 8n weeks on and she is looking just fab, all plump and has gained weight, last pooh sample to get checked tomorrow but i am not worried in the least now. Hurray for a good vet and lots of tlc

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things coming along?
The most commonly used drug for yellow fungus is Itraconazole which works "most" of the time.
Is she still on any medications now, along with the critical care also?
Yellow fungus has been somewhat prevalent here in the US due to over population in tanks or keeping the tanks dirty, etc.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom