Not eating well and Coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screamin99

Juvie Member
Okay im going to make this as short and sweet as possible.

Lazlo slowed down at about 8 months old around the time of burmation, he wasn't eating well and I finally took him into the vet after I thought it was the Mega Ray and then I switched to the Solar Glo which I later ditched also..

So around December was when he stopped eating and in February I changed his light. April came around and I had him into the vet with a fecal.. He was positive for Coccidia and treated and then followed up with a 2nd fecal to ensure that he was infact cured of his problem. The vet told me that MOST of the Coccidia was gone and that its almost not normal to find a small trace in their stool. I ended up switching feeders since he wouldn't eat crickets anymore (think thats what got him sick in the first place) and started offering him supers and hornworms. He ate the horns and was doing well, but still not eating greens. In July he started taking a few bites of greens again and nothing was doing. Now its October 2010 and he is still not eating as well as I would like him too and his sides look a little thin. He has been under a reptisun for a few days and starting to eat better since I ditched the solarglo.

Then he stops and is trying to sleep all the time and refusing everything. He is not basking and just trying to sleep the entire time under his bask. I let him sleep and leave his lights on as he was not fully knocked out cold and I was still feeding him baby food off and on and he would bask for a bit have a bowel movement and then go back to laying under his bask with his eyes half open.

I finally decided enough was enough and had yet another fecal done. Pinworms, massive amounts and no coccidia at all. 4 doses of pancur and one at the vets office on weigh day. I gave his Pancur and some acidophilz and had his latest fecal just checked a week ago. No more pinworms, but a small amount of coccidia again.

He still doesn't want any of the staple greens that I offer, He doesn't want crickets or supers. He will eat a hornworm or two from time to time.. But usually he just turns his head to them.

Im lost. No idea what to do with the little guy.

He will bask a little now, but he just doesn't want to eat. Most of his time is spent either glass dancing and beating his head off the tank (he actually hasn't done this in two days so im hoping that his sex drive is over for the year/time being or at least until next year) But what worries me the most is his lack of intrest in food and he still trys to just curl up under his bask and lay there. He isn't asleep just laying there.

Anyone got any advice? Whats going on? Is the Coccidia causing this or is he just a very moody dragon?

melissa102787

Hatchling Member
I don't really have much advice.... My beardie is also not basking/eating. He is only 4-5 months. I have had him for a week and at first he seemed restless and little off( a little skinny too), I thought it had to do with the move. He has been going downhill since then, at first he ate and each day he has been eating less and less. Today he ate ONE phoenix worm, so I gave him so repta-aid. He had a fecal done Fri. He has moderate pinworms. So Last night I started dosing him with reptaid( yes I have both reptaid and repta-aid, lol). Crossing my fingers for improvement tomorrow.... :(

I've also tried playing with temps and different bulbs.... None of that seems to make much of a difference.

Screamin99

Juvie Member
Original Poster
If he has Pinworms you should probably have him wormed with Pancur from the vet. My dragon will bask, but not for long periods of time or not usually until later in the day or until after a bath.

Im just worried about his eating habits.

But thanks for the reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom