Getting worried need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibdmc6

So today will mark day 5 of my beardies albon And panacur treatment for coccidia and pinworms. For 2 days now he hasn't eaten on his own. I've been giving him .2 ml of baby food a day and just started giving him soy yogurt for probiotics. I ordered some reptaid and was wondering if I should stop the albon/panacur and switch to reptaid once it arrives.

I hear stories of baby beardies dying after 1-2 albon treatments so I'm nervous as to what to do.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Dan,

Do you know what the concentration of the Albon is, & what is the dose he is getting daily?
What about the Panacur? The Panacur should only be given once a week, for a maximum of 3 treatments.

Have you been giving any probiotics during the medication round such as acidophiliz, non dairy soy yogurt or benebac? Also, some extra oral fluids are helpful as well.
Do you have any pictures of him?

Tracie

Ibdmc6

Original Poster
I was giving him .01ml of albon a day. It was supposed to be for 5 days, then every other day for 10 days, but I stopped after day 4 because he wouldn't eat. I only did 1 panacur treatment but it's supposed to be once a week for a month. Since he stopped eating I've been giving him soy probiotic yogurt and baby food daily. I'm still offering greens and Phoenix worms but he's not interested. At times he looks thinner and darker and at other times he looks healthy and a light brown color. At this point I'm just waiting to see if the reptaid coming in the mail will help because this medication seemed to make him worse

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, how are his stools looking now?
The medication can make them worse sometimes, if they either did not need it or the dose was too high.
Continue giving the soy yogurt that should help him out & maybe the Reptaid will help him out also. Don't forget to give extra oral fluids during this time, as well.

Tracie

Ibdmc6

Original Poster
His stools didn't look bad when I started the meds but the vet said his coccidia count was 3+

now his stools look alot worse. I'll just keep up with the yogurt and baby food and hope he turns around.

He seemed fine before this treatment I'm upset at myself for rushing to these meds, I just thought since it was a high count I'd try to nip this in the bud. Now I'm just trying to keep him alive.

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How much does your dragon weigh?
What is the concentration/strength of the Albon, do you know? I can double check his dose, perhaps he was getting too much medication.
How is he doing today? Any improvements at all with his appetite?
Sometimes, it is a double edged sword. Normally a 3+ level would warrant medication most of the times, but, if he was doing fine previously, it probably would have been best to have held off to see if the levels would have decreased on their own.
It isn't your fault, this happens quite often actually.
Just focus now on getting him rehydrated to help his kidneys & give probiotics for awhile longer to help with his tummy too.

Let me know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom