Just found out -Coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomek

Juvie Member
I am beginning to think my beardie has been sick for some time now. I took him to the vet and he said he has Coddidia. I have been reading quite a bit about it. The Doctor gave him medicine to clear it up, but, I have been reading that I should also give him a probiotic since the medicine will clear up ALL bacteria. Even the good stuff, is this true? also, if he does not eat due to the medicine, what should I try to do? any suggestions on this particular parasite is also appreciated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, most people who treat their reptiles for coccidia, will usually use a probiotic of some type. The most commonly used probiotics are acidophiliz, benebac and non dairy soy yogurt. It really does help replenish the appetite during the medication round and afterwards. I would keep him on the probiotics for 1-2 weeks after the last day of the medication. Also, extra oral fluids are recommended along with the medication to help the kidneys.

Tracie

Tomek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Tracie, you mentioned oral fluids, I am assuming water, although, if he is not thirsty how do I get him to drink. Also, I ordered some acidophiliz and it should arrive soon. Do I need to give him the soy yogurt as well?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, the oral fluids are water. Will he drink if you drip water onto his nose? Usually they will. If not, gently tickle the side of his mouth until he opens his mouth. This takes practice but it can be done!
No, if you have acidophiliz coming, you will not need to get any soy yogurt right now.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing now? Did you get your acidophiliz?
I hope he is doing well & getting better! :D

Tracie

Tomek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie, Thanks for asking, I did get my acidophiliz and have been giving it to him according to the directions on this site (Which are great!). The Doctor told me to give him the meds 3 days straight then rest 3 days then 3 days again. He is on his last dose of the meds. I have been giving him the acidophiliz 6 hours after his initial dose of medicine. So far, It is hard to say, he doesnt have a appetite like he normally does? I think the meds maybe are making him sick? I go back to the vet on Sunday, he is going to do another fecal and see if the parasites are gone. I will keep you posted. :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Very good, I hope that he is starting to feel better soon. The meds do tend to really mess them up yes & can upset their tummies. I am glad that you are giving the acidophiliz daily so continue to give that for at least 1 or 2 weeks after the medications are finished.
Let us know how he is doing.
Are you giving extra fluids daily as well?

Tracie

Tomek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

You mention extra fluids, how do I do this. I am not sure what you mean, he has his water dish, but, are you saying I will need to put some water in a syringe?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, does your dragon actually drink out of his water dish? If not, extra fluids really should be given if possible.
Yes, you can use either a plastic dropper or a plastic syringe to get some fluids into him.

Tracie

Tomek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie, I do have a question for you, since you seem to be very knowledgeable with beardies :) I have finished giving Tomek his doses of medicine. He is not eating alot and still seems sick to me. He goes to bed early, doesnt want to bask alot and is blacker than normal. Could the medicine have made him a bit sick to his stomach? I am taking him in on Sunday for another fecal to see if the parasites are gone, but, was just curious if his behavior could be from the meds or perhaps the parasites were not gone.

Thanks Tracie you are AWESOME!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No problem at all! :D
How long have you been giving him the acidophiliz?
The meds are notorious for causing stomach upset, especially the sulfa based ones such as Albon. I would keep him on the acidophiliz for another week or two just to help out his digestion.
The levels may still be high enough to be affecting his appetite, yes. My guess though would be it is most likely the medication causing this. So, getting another fecal would be a good idea, just to check out the levels again.

Let me know how he is doing.

Tracie

Tomek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Tracie, I will get his levels tomorrow from the vet. I am glad you told me about levels, I had no idea what that is? you mentioned in the other post a 4+ is bad, but a 3+ is not so bad? right?

Tomek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
one more thing !, he hasnt pooped in two days (which is unusual for him). I have to bring a fecal into the vet tomorrow. If I place him in the water (I know he will go), but, can I scoop it out of the water and will that be ok for the vet to use to run tests? or will the water screw it up?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, 3+ is borderline on treatment, it depends on how your dragons are handling that level. A 4+ should be treated yes.
All dragons handle the levels differently, so it is an individual thing for deciding treatment or not.
Well, you can scoop his stool out of the water, but it could affect the test results of the fecal exam, yes. Can you hurry & get him out of the water before he goes?? :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom