Please advice on Pinworms, Heating, Treatment! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alkemisten3

Hatchling Member
Hi! - also posted in Health!
First of all, I would like to mention that I know all basics about bearded dragons and a little bit more than that. After managing to find a vet. in Malta finally, I got my concerns and suspicions confirmed after 3 painful months of trying to fix everything:
My beardie has loads of pinworms!

I will start giving her Panacur tomorrow and update you about the dosages and details about the fecal test.
She is about 9 months old and weights up to date 186 G (Small!).
I suspect she was already infected when I got her, as previous owner sure is a breeder but also a greedy pet store owner...

I have read an awesome article on Bearded Dragon . org about parasites, where it says temps should be around 80 F / 26 C minimum at night during treatment to maximize healing and promote good bacterias.

I Have ordered Reptiaid as well as Acidophiliz+ solution to promote good bacterias, vitamins, minerals etc etc as I presume she will not eat good at all.
She will be getting a new wooden viv on Saturday as I am tired of my glass viv which leaks heat and traps humidity and such - do NOT go for glass vivs!

Questions are many and I would please ask you to help me with all of them, and of course I have tried to search: :p

1. Should I wait with moving her to the new viv and use the old one (after completely sanitizing it from tomorrow? I mean - so when she is free of parasites, she can move in to a fresh home? If possible I would like to move her already and just keep the new home very clean?

2. Should I have her on paper towels for now? Perhaps a very good idea...

3. I will not use wood as I know it is not fun to keep clean totally. Stones and plastic plants should be fine, or should I go for only plants?

4. How do I basically kill these worms - bleach, ammonia or steam cleaner (I have one!) ? How often should I wipe it all down?

5. I am keeping her on crickets at the moment - but will try to feed her the rest of my calci/phoenix/reptiworms (same same but different.. ). I saw a thread earlier where people ask if it is possible to inject medicines and probiotics IN feeeders? There was no really full answer on this?

6. If I use a blankie for her - should I change it every day? Maybe a good idea...

7. Regarding the Reptiaid and Acidophiliz+ , how should I administer it for this dragon approx. - how often, how much and How do I administrate it best

8. Where do you think the worms could possibly have come from? Bad hygiene from last owner, crickets? (is this possible?)

9. Can they spread to us humans?

Many thanks

:D :D 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom