Easy-to-sanitize hide idea to defeat sneaky parasites

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlebirdy

Juvie Member
Our beardie, Clovis, recently got diagnosed with flagellates and pinworms. He's flagellate-free and pinworm-reduced, so another 2 courses of Panacur and he should be set! The vet said that we needed to bleach his cage daily, and to remove the wooden hide because he poops on everything and the parasites hide in the wood. Well, I made him two little cardboard hides, but he pooped on them and I had to toss them. I didn't know where I could find a plastic hide that I could clean easily until I thought about this...

Clovis' Rockin New Accessory by katiebread, on Flickr

PVC pipe! Big enough to hide inside, and plastic so you can bleach it and kill the parasites! I thought I would share my idea in case anyone else was trying to figure out parasite-proof viv furnishings on a budget. It cost $6.28 at Home Depot.

littlebirdy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The only disadvantage is it is too slippery for him to climb on very well. Once we are parasite free I'll crochet some covers for it out of cotton so he can climb it and I can throw them in the wash when he poops on them.

vince66mphs

That IS an awesome idea. I have to take Sigrun in on Monday for pinworms, Coccidia and Flagellates (or as I told my girlfriend, pinworms, ca-ca and flatulance). I'll put some rough sandpaper to them to see if I can rough them up some for better grip.

littlebirdy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I had thought about cutting some grooves in the plastic with a sharp knife, but as I mentioned before, Clovis poops on everything. :roll: I was afraid that poop and parasites would get into the grooves and be difficult to get out. Let me know how well it cleans up after you rough it up with the sandpaper!

vince66mphs

Well, sanding the PVC seemed to rough it up enough. But then I read that doing so can release chemicals that were used in the manufacturing process that otherwise wouldn't leech out.

So I ended up just getting a second basking rock identical to the one he had and alternated between them allowing them to soak after I pulled the one out for the day.

littlebirdy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I found another way to get some traction on the PVC pipe. I wrapped it in non-adhesive shelf liner. Easy to bleach, easy to replace if it gets funky, and easy for Clovis to climb! We're probably going to keep using it even after he is parasite-free. I haven't seen him go inside of it yet, but I like how it gets him close to his UVB light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom