Anybody know anything about voriconazole??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcorey1

My bearded has been in a fight against a fungal infection for a couple years now..8 months of itraconazole therapy have failed to clear it up, so my vet wants to try a newer anti-fungal called voriconazole. Apparently it has had good success in the trials in which it has been used on bearedie's, with more success than itraconazole on stubborn infections. Has anyone else used it for their reptiles? How did it go for you? I just had the drug compounded today into a solution and will be starting her treatment today. Hope it works! I don't know what else to do if this med doesn't work. :banghead:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would like to know the turn out of this. This drug is supposed to help with more stubborn fungal infections, but has been used very little thus far in reptiles. Good luck!

Tracie

jcorey1

Original Poster
as of right now she has been on the voriconazole for about 2 weeks, I had to have a 500mg pill made into a suspension and I am administering .4mg daily. Showing slight improvement, voriconazole takes longer to show effect than itraconazole, which is quicker acting but not as successful/long lasting with resistant fungal infections(from what my vet has told). Rufus is doing...so-so. Her appetite isn't very good, however it is also winter here and she tends to do that during the cold months. The staph infection she had has also done some major tissue damage, VERY deep on one side...which seems to be slowly healing. I'm keeping a close eye on everything. I'll post pictures of the damaged area. I warn you, its terrible looking :cry: and mind you I have done EVERYTHING I can to care for her. This has been an ongoing back and forth battle for going on 3 years now.

I'm giving her acidophiliz and keeping her well hydrated. I'm still very concerned about the horrible lesion area caused by the staph infection. She was on baytril for 1 1/2 months, so I really hope the infection cleared and its just taking awhile to heal. I did NOT want her to be on both voriconazole and baytril at the same time to keep her kidneys from getting too innundated. The vet felt it was more prudent to start the voriconazole than continue the baytril. Apparently fungal infections open the pathway for skin staph infections. I'll keep this updated.

jcorey1

Original Poster
070.jpg

071.jpg

072.jpg

073.jpg

075.jpg

and there you have it. TERRIBLE. Its awful what the staph/fungal infection has done. She's had those lesions before from it, but NEVER like this. Those lesion areas are almost like ...scabs kind of is the best way to explain it. It used to be very thick and crusty, rock-like if you will. That is what was underneath when the crusty skin layer was removed by the vet.

3 years of this crap. I've tried itraconazole for 7 months, came right back....use lamisil, silver sulfadiazine ointment....witch hazil etc etc. This voriconazole better clear it up for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom