Is this "Yellow Fungus" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkiperry2580

Hatchling Member
This is a pic of Koche 6 mths old. After a bath this evening I caught a glance of his belly and it has a yellow hue to it down the center with a few darker yellow scales here and there. I have noticed that his appetite has not been so well and he's been a bit sleepy. More so than normal. So, now what? Is this something I can fix over the counter or do I have to go to the Doc?

PC035120.jpg

PC035118.jpg

Yes I bathe both of them daily, trying to potty train them. I use repti carpet for substrate. Not sure of the humidity, just changed to larger tank and need to get a new gauge. The temps are 80 in cool area and 98-100 in basking spots. I have just moved him and Sabella into a 120 gal tank. Lots of room to roam.The tank is so large that they have 2 basking spots even though they normally bask together in one spot.I also have 2 uvb bulbs as well, repti glo 10, or repti sun 10. I can't remember which one it is. I bought one and was told to get the other because it was better and since then I've forgotten which one it is. I'm thinkin a repti sun. They both were raised together and love being together. I split them up in the beginning and they were miserable. Back to bathing, I use baby shampoo to wash maybe once a week, just let them soak the other days for 20 minutes. I at first thought that it was food stain because he likes to lay in his food plate while he eats. Just changed over to phoenix worms this week. Both beardies just began to refuse the crickets. They eat about 50 worms or less a day with greens, broccoli, green pepper, carrots, banana, grapes, apples not all together. I give them a variety to keep them happy. Hope this helps to get some advice. I've included a pic to show their home.
Thanks,
Nikki

PC045126.jpg

Please forgive me for the poor lighting in the pic. I hope you can see what I'm seeing.
I need some advice!
Thanks,
Nikki

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Hello Nikki, it looks a little like ether dried poo or even food. You can see if it will come off using warn water and a soft bristle tooth brush with a bit of tearless baby wash. If it does not come off then maybe a vet visit should be on the agenda. Hope this helps... :D

nikkiperry2580

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, so I scrubbed the little fella with baby shampoo and a tooth brush to no avail. Still there, I've been researching about how to treat with Nolvasan and lamisil. I think I'm gonna try that and see if it helps. Not sure what else to do, and , quite frankly I'm worried about the cost of a vet. I've seen many stories of people getting taken to the bank. I guess I need to because I've not had a fecal done yet on either one. Decision, decisions, decisions.
Any advice welcome!!!
Thanks,
Nikki

nikkiperry2580

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, so I broke down and made an appt. with a local herp Dr. for tomorrow. I love my buddy too much to toy around with this issue. From what I've researched and found, this yellow fungus can kill! I'll update on the fecal and results of the yellow fungus. Keeping my fingers crossed!

nikkiperry2580

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I joined this site so I could learn more about my beardies, an, learn from others mistakes. I've learned a good bit but I have to say I'm very disappointed at the lack of concern about my post. :( I've only had one person give some advice and I so greatly appreciated that! :D I thought this site was for sharing info, giving advice and learning more about our pets. Not sure what's going on. I'm thinking maybe I read more into this site that is actually offered. :cry: I will continue my journey in caring for my beardies and rely on those with diplomas for help instead of the people that are obviously not concerned on this site!

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
You have to realise that a lot of people live in different countries on here and are therefore in different time zones- hence not always an immediate reply. It is an excellent site and i have had loads of good advice- often waiting till the next day for an answer because i live in the UK and there a few UK members.

Ive never experienced yellow fungus but i did some research into it to help a poster on here a while back. from what i can see on the photos, it does resemble yellow fungus but not an extreme case. ive glad you've got an appointment with the vet and i hope all goes well- fingers crossed for you :D

I would be careful housing the beardies together- they may seem like they are getting on well at the moment but all good advice will say not to house beardies together- they are not social animals. There have been too many stories about beardies seeming ok then turning on each other causing serious injury or worse. :(

nikkiperry2580

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank You so much for a reply! I do realize that not everyone has the time or is in my time to answer, although many have viewed, but not answered. That's whats confusing me :? . Regarding the fungus, I too were confused because of the pics I've seen were much worse. Maybe I've caught it early enough that we can treat with no complications.
Regarding the housing, we bought them together back in June this year. I had them together and then happened across this site and quickly split them up. They both seemed miserable for 2 months maybe. When I was finally able to sex them, they turned out to be male and female. I put them back together and they were very happy to see one another again. They sleep together, they sun together. When I let them out to play they roam apart, but close enough to keep tabs on one another.They bathe together. I am keeping a VERY close eye on them. :shock: I'm hoping nothing happenes, I keep them very well fed with crickets, phoenix worms, greens, broccoli,green pepper, few carrots, peas, grapes, strawberry, banana, apple.
I am about to break the tank down and put paper towels down, remove the vines and just keep a few rocks for basking. So it will be much easier to clean everyday. All of this info can be alittle overwhelming all at once. I'm just trying to weed though and find out what best fits me and my beardies.
Thanks again for the reply! I'll try and relax and wait for an answer, lol. Patience is so NOT my virtue!!!
Nikki

Sabella and Koche 6 mths

PC065132.jpg

PC055129.jpg

Snuggle buddies!

nikkiperry2580

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank You so much for a reply! I do realize that not everyone has the time or is in my time to answer, although many have viewed, but not answered. That's whats confusing me :? . Regarding the fungus, I too were confused because of the pics I've seen were much worse. Maybe I've caught it early enough that we can treat with no complications.
Regarding the housing, we bought them together back in June this year. I had them together and then happened across this site and quickly split them up. They both seemed miserable for 2 months maybe. When I was finally able to sex them, they turned out to be male and female. I put them back together and they were very happy to see one another again. They sleep together, they sun together. When I let them out to play they roam apart, but close enough to keep tabs on one another.They bathe together. I am keeping a VERY close eye on them. :shock: I'm hoping nothing happens, I keep them very well fed with crickets, phoenix worms, greens, broccoli,green pepper, few carrots, peas, grapes, strawberry, banana, apple.
I am about to break the tank down and put paper towels down, remove the vines and just keep a few rocks for basking. So it will be much easier to clean everyday. All of this info can be alittle overwhelming all at once. I'm just trying to weed though and find out what best fits me and my beardies.
Thanks again for the reply! I'll try and relax and wait for an answer, lol. Patience is so NOT my virtue!!!
Nikki

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
lol, i understand its frustrating when lots of people have viewed but none have relpied. Im just still a little bit concerned about them living together- beardies can mate young and females get gravid young which can be dangerous for their health. A recent post i looked at described how a female broke a male beardies jaw when they were housed together by biting his head :shock: . Sorry for sounding negative and that im going on about it- just as long as your aware of the risk of them living together.

Let me know what the vet says, hope its good news! :D

nikkiperry2580

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I read that exact same post, omg that was awful. I will have you know as of right now I have split them up and Sabella is going back into the 30 gal tank I had her in before. She's giving me the stink eye, but she'll get over it I suppose. I mainly did it for sanitary purposes. If in fact Koche does have the yellow fungus, I'd need to split them anyway to keep her from contracting it as well. I've line both tanks with paper towels and removing all decorations except enough rock to raise them to the basking light. From my research I've got to clean the tank daily until it's cleared, so, here we go! Thanks for chatting with me. Now I don't feel so aggravated with everyone, lol.
I'll keep u posted on the visit tomorrow. Hopefully a easy fix!

So your in the Uk, wow! So how many and how long have you had bearded dragons?

nikkiperry2580

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I read that exact same post, omg that was awful. I will have you know as of right now I have split them up and Sabella is going back into the 30 gal tank I had her in before. She's giving me the stink eye, but she'll get over it I suppose. I mainly did it for sanitary purposes. If in fact Koche does have the yellow fungus, I'd need to split them anyway to keep her from contracting it as well. I've line both tanks with paper towels and removing all decorations except enough rock to raise them to the basking light. From my research I've got to clean the tank daily until it's cleared, so, here we go! Thanks for chatting with me. Now I don't feel so aggravated with everyone, lol.
I'll keep u posted on the visit tomorrow. Hopefully a easy fix!

So your in the Uk, wow! So how many and how long have you had bearded dragons? Ever any issues with yours?

nikkiperry2580

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, the vet visit went great! We've caught the yellow fungus in it's earliest stage and should clear up with betadine wash and lamisil spray. I was concerned if he had worms or if he was just a "Fatty", lol. :lol: He pooped in the tub last night and didn't go this morning before we saw the Dr., so we went ahead and treated with Panacur. Take a wild guess at what he did as soon as I put him back in his enclosure???? Yep, he pooped! The vet thinks he's just a fatty though, lol. I will start the washing in a bit, he's gonna love the "Special Attention he's about to get! I have recently been feeding him phoenix worms because he was refusing to eat crickets, well, he's not tolerating the phoenix worms at all. He's pooping big clusters of undigested worms. :oops: So, back to the crickets we go. Not sure why he's not wanting to eat them though, maybe the fungus is making him not so hungry??? Somehow or another we will get this figured out! :study:

I have split up Koche and Sabella, and Sabella is not a happy girl!! She keeps glass dancing and running back and fourth in her enclosure. She after all did get the raw end of the deal, she's smaller so I put her in the smaller tank, 29 gal., for the time being. Koche however, is still in the 120 gal tank! You can tell he misses her, but he's not sweating it a bit! Looks like we will be keeping them apart so I'll be looking for a new tank. Any ideas on how big I should go. She's 6 mths and 16 inches long. Any advice will be welcome.
Thanks,
Nikki

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Im glad he's ok and it was early stages- good job for noticing and taking him to the vet- it shows you obviously look after them well. Its also good you've split them up- Can they see each other from their vivs? Coz that can cause them to play up. Im sure they'll soon enjoy living on their own :D

The Uk at the moment is covered in snow and soooooo cold lol. Ive only had my 1 beardie Terri for 3 months but this site is my bible and ive gained so much knowledge from it- my beardie (recently found out is a girl) is about 7 or 8 months. ive had no problems with her yet, thank god and she seems very healthy- a little bit on the small side at 15inches but apparantly thats normal for some beardies. I keep her in a 3ft tank which is roomy enough- i was advised this by my pet store which is a family run business that only deals with exotics. Yours seems like a nice big beardie so if i was you i'd go for a 4 ft tank or bigger if you can. Some say a 40-55 gallon tank is adequate for an adult beardie. :D

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
Hey there! Good news that the fungus is in the earlier stages still! I hope if I'm ever in that situation I can also catch it quick - my two HATE having their bellies exposed (unless its after eating and basking and they are lazy)!

I'm also relatively new to the site, but from what I've seen, if you need very quick answers you can either PM one of the moderators or rather post in ER.

I agree that the members are in different time zones. For instance, I am in South Africa. Although I browse the site a good bit during work time, I mostly get time to post in the evening.

Hope you have fun with your babies and that you will continue to use the site - I've learned more than I ever could from anywhere else.

nikkiperry2580

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have to give you both a big "Thank You" ladies for bringing me back down to earth! lol :oops: I was so worried that I let my mouth over ride my A@# if you know what I mean. :shock: Ok, as far as belly showing, not easily done. I try to give a look from head to toe at bath time. Mainly because they were housed together.
I separated them and kept them out of site, but Sabella went nuts! I've relocated the tanks across the room from one another and now she is much happier. I know how dangerous it can be to have them together, but, my heart breaks for them because they were so happy. I do have to admit though, Sabella had a bloody scratch if you will, on her lower jaw a few weeks ago. I thought maybe she got cut on a rock (she loves to rub on rocks when shedding) or maybe scratched herself. Now, I'm wondering if Koche did it! It was in the perfect curve of his lower jaw now that I'm thinking about it! :angry5:
I'm kind of like counting my blessings that nothing else happened! Ok, life is good in beardie land for now. :D So for the next 3 weeks I will be cleaning viv's everyday to keep the little buggers healthy. :roll: I'm thinkin my perfume of choice will be Chlorox! :wink:
Sabella absolutely HATES bath time but Koche loves it! I got some video footage this afternoon and will post it in a bit. He loves to swim. The water only come up to his shoulders, but he will pancake and raise his feet up so he can swim, it's very entertaining! I tried 4 times to get him out and he kept jumping back head first into the water, refusing to leave. Lol
Thanks again ladies,
Nikki

Just click on the picture to see Koche swimming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom