Advice about whether or not to treat for Coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheranne

After moving my beardie to a new tank, his stools become very runny so I had a fecal done on 11/6, and the coccidia count was 2. They also found some clostidium and spirochetes, which I treated with panacur for three days. I decided not to treat for coccidia since the count was low....his count previously was a 4, and I treated for that on 10/16. He did fine during the first round of treatment for coccidia, but I did not want to treat again unless necessary. His stools are starting to firm up, although they are still not totally formed. He is not dehydrated and has been getting baths every other day. He is eating great....about 100 crickets a day, plus two bowls of greens. Temps are fine, and he is active.

My concern is this. He is not gaining much weight; every time he has a bowel movement, he loses seven or so grams, but once he eats again, he gains it back. He weighed 163 grams on 11/6, before starting panacur. He got down to 157 grams on 11/9, but was back up to 167 yesterday. This morning he weighed in at 174, and after he pooped, he was back down to 165 grams. So basically within a week, he has only gained 2 grams. Before moving to his new tank on 10/31, he was gaining 10 or more grams in a week. When I first got him two months ago, he was 99 grams. Does this sound like an okay growth rate?

The vet game me the mediciation for the coccidia, so I can treat again if necessary. I am wondering since his weight gain has slowed if I need to go ahead and treat. What do you all think?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things going? Keep me posted on your dragon, I hope he is feeling better. :D

Tracie

Sheranne

Original Poster
He is eating like a champ...weighed in at 177 grams today. He still seems to be losing around 5-8 grams each time he poops, so he isn't maintaining all the weight he gains, which worries me. His stools are almost fully formed, but do still have a little bit of unformed part to them as well. I will keep a watch on him and see what happens.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, we will definitely have to keep an eye on him if he is not maintaining his weight very well yet. Hopefully his body will start catching up soon otherwise, he may need another round of Albon to get his levels down more.
At least however, he is eating really well right now so he must feel pretty good then. Maybe his stools will improve as well.
Keep me posted on him.

Tracie

Sheranne

Original Poster
Tracie, how much weight gain should I be looking for in a week's time? I know all dragons are different, but I would love to know what is average.

Depending on what his stool looks like today, I may go ahead and start treating with Albon again tomorrow.

I wish my vet would give me a discount for re-checking fecals, but he doesn't, and I really don't want to pay for one a 4th time!! This little dragon is very expensive!

HeatherSullivan

Hatchling Member
I work at a vet office and just an FYI on Coccidia. Just because you only see a few doesn't mean that they aren't that bad. If you are looking at a fecal sample it may have just been all the Cocci eggs that he was shedding at the moment. I would DEF. get your BD treated. Not even a question in my book.

Sheranne

Original Poster
I did go ahead and treat 2 weeks ago. His stools are now sometimes formed, and sometimes still messy. Looks like I'll have to take another sample in and see where we stand. I really hate coccidia!!

HeatherSullivan

Hatchling Member
Sheranne":30v6obfj said:
I did go ahead and treat 2 weeks ago. His stools are now sometimes formed, and sometimes still messy. Looks like I'll have to take another sample in and see where we stand. I really hate coccidia!!

Oh ok great. Sorry didn t look at the date. Coccidia is a pain in the butt to treat! You may call the vet and see if you even need to test another sample or if you could go ahead and treat him for it... Might save you 30 bucks or so.

Sheranne

Original Poster
I wish mine would do that, but they always want a new sample. And they charge $54, not to mention the medication. I've spent over $300 in the last three months trying to get rid of parasites. That's one reason I cringe when people buy beardies thinking they are low maintenance, because they certainly are not!

HeatherSullivan

Hatchling Member
Sheranne":12tl3zab said:
I wish mine would do that, but they always want a new sample. And they charge $54, not to mention the medication. I've spent over $300 in the last three months trying to get rid of parasites. That's one reason I cringe when people buy beardies thinking they are low maintenance, because they certainly are not!

54$$$$$$?????????? To float poop and look at it under a microscope? Please tell me they are having it sent to a lab for that price! Wow. We charge $28 for a fecal. Sounds to me like they might be a little on the greedy side to me. Maybe time to find another vet!

Sheranne

Original Poster
They do both a fecal float and a smear for that price, and they do it in house. I trust this vet, and lost my first beardie after being treated by another vet, so I am scared to go anywhere else! But yes, I do think they charge too much. At least they don't make me bring my beardie and have to pay an office visit each time, though.

discojan

Juvie Member
We've been trying to fight Coccidia since September, and with all the money we've spend on fecals ($38 a pop for float/smear in-house), I could have bought the durn microscope and done it myself.

I hope y'all have better luck kicking it, we start Round 2 of meds, this time Albon tomorrow!

Sheranne

Original Poster
I know what you mean. Between three dogs and the beardie, I should have gone to vet school!

My beardie's last fecal was clear of coccidia, but still had some bacteria we had to treat with another round of Albon. He has been doing better.

I hope things improve for your beardie soon. Coccidia is an awful thing to deal with.

discojan

Juvie Member
Ugh...woe is the coccidia. Good news is that Salsita ate 25 crix today for the first time in a while. Now let's hope she can poop them out today or tomorrow :) Hope your buddy clears the bacteria soon. What a drag!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom