Coccidia and treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

michigan101

Hatchling Member
Got a float done for Stella. She was positive for coccidia. The vet seemed stunned at just how much! Stella also had a secondary parasite starting (urmoxy or something). He gave me some albon and panacur. Should be getting better soon. Any tips for helping her get over this? I got some reptaid to help her gutt. Also have only her basking rock so I can wipe her cage with ease. Thanks!

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Are you using a pro-biotic with the treatment? A soy based yogurt is a good option, if not just a regular non-fat yogurt. You are wanting the active cultures in the yogurt, and also acidophilez? (acidophiles) too. It is good you cut down her decor for the time being are you still using a substrate? Paper towels for now would be good they can be changed 1-2 times a day. Make sure to also clean her basking rock (not a heat rock right?) and enclosure with a diluted bleach and water mixture. 10% bleach the rest water. Also rinse what has been cleaned very thoroughly.
This thread is a good read about parasites and what he had to do.
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=135384&start=120

michigan101

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I only have the reptaid right now. I will prolly get some regular acidopholis or maybe some soy yorgurt like you suggest. Currently she is on tile, so its really easy to clean. I will prolly disinfect her cage daily when she is in the bath (heard the meds can cause dehydration)

How long before she starts showing improvement? A couple days hopefully. I am so thrilled she is on the mend! My poor little schnook'ems!

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
I used boiling water to clean my dragon's tank when he had coccidia, as I have read in more than one place that bleach will not kill coccidia. The boiling water did the trick.

As my vet explained, you should keep them on paper towels with nothing in the tank. If you have decorations and things in the tank, when the dragon poops if he has any left on him or he steps on it or anything, he's tracking coccidia around the tank, so just cleaning the spot where he pooped isn't good enough because he could have carried it over onto some decoration and now it's hiding somewhere you'd least expect it, multiplying and waiting for your dragon to step on that spot again.
So. This is why I kept my dragon on only paper towels with nothing but his salad bowl in his cage. I cleaned that daily as well.
When the dragon poops, immediately clean it up. Take out ALL the paper towels and throw them away, clean the bottom of the tank with bleach solution or boiling water/steam, put in entirely new paper towels. My dragon had coccidia for weeks longer than he should have because I thought I was doing a "good enough" job cleaning. I had his food dish and a "tub" of water for him to soak in since the meds would dehydrate him, and that just made things worse. You have to be really tough about it or it won't improve.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I don't think there is anything bleach can't kill??? You know that annoying .1% that hand sanitizer won't kill. That is E-coli and bleach kills it. Wait I take that back bleach won't kill mold.. :study:

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Beardednoob":3j5b4e2z said:
I don't think there is anything bleach can't kill??? You know that annoying .1% that hand sanitizer won't kill. That is E-coli and bleach kills it. Wait I take that back bleach won't kill mold.. :study:

I don't know, I'm just repeating what I've read on here 100 times. Bleach apparently won't kill coccidia. Boiling water and ammonia will, but not bleach. *shrug*

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Sapphire":2dgrront said:
Beardednoob":2dgrront said:

I don't know, I'm just repeating what I've read on here 100 times. Bleach apparently won't kill coccidia. Boiling water and ammonia will, but not bleach. *shrug*

Well, they would probably know better then me :roll: :D

xxdragonflamesxx

Hatchling Member
I have heard that too. Bleach will not, ammonia and boiling water/steam/baking will. You can also find the same thing on the Beautiful Dragons Website under the section disinfectants and their uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom