Beating vains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi bd.org! I'm a long time comer but I don't post very often. I've had my dragon for 4 years, since he was only 2 months old. He's pretty healthy, just very fat. On a diet of mostly turnip greens and bok choy, and the occasional super worm or raspberry/blackberry, sometimes crickets too.

He's ok aside from a recurring upper respiratory infection (been already long treated with meds, my vet thinks he has allergies). When he starts coughing a little I just give him a hot bath twice a day for awhile and he's usually better.

I just wanted to ask a quick question. Recently I've noticed sometimes I see a vain in his belly or tail beating. at first it was only a little but then i started to notice it happening in other places. Is this a sign of anything I should be concerned about? My dad just thinks it means he's getting old...but I mean he's only 4!

:blob5: Thanks to any who read or reply :)

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
It sounds alot like the twitching my older beardie gets from time to time, which is due to a vitamin B deficiency. Is it more like a twitching you see on your beardies belly, like on the sides? If this is what you are seeing, you can get some Brewer's Yeast, which is high in vitamin B. You can usually pick up a can of it at a local health/nutrition store. It is fairly cheap. Sprinkle a little on your beardie's salad or feeders for a few days and see if that helps with the twitching. It won't hurt to give this to your beardie even if it is is not a vitamin deficiency.

Maybe someone else will chime in with some advice.

KaijuPossumAdri

Original Poster
Yeah hey sorry it took me so long to reply! Indeed the twitching is usually on his belly or sides. I didn't want to try that yeast thing due to hearing about some nasty side effects, so I started giving him a hand full of cheerios every day. After awhile he started spazing and running around his tank urgently, I started to think he was impacted so I took him to the only vet in town who'd take him on short notice. She gave him an xray and said his bones were too thin and he needed more calcium. Any tips of how to get his bones stronger?

Also for the record, the whole ordeal just makes me angry. I had been taking him to one vet for his whole life, who said he was getting to fat and to diet him, only feed him vegis and never feed him insects is what he said! So I started giving him as less insects as possible and only greens which he hates :cry: now when I took him to this new vet after that xray she's saying why weren't you giving him more insects? That's crazy!

KaijuPossumAdri

Original Poster
Yeah hey sorry it took me so long to reply! Indeed the twitching is usually on his belly or sides. I didn't want to try that yeast thing due to hearing about some nasty side effects, so I started giving him a hand full of cheerios every day. After awhile he started spazing and running around his tank urgently, I started to think he was impacted so I took him to the only vet in town who'd take him on short notice. She gave him an xray and said his bones were too thin and he needed more calcium. Any tips of how to get his bones stronger?

Also for the record, the whole ordeal just makes me angry. I had been taking him to one vet for his whole life, who said he was getting to fat and to diet him, only feed him vegis and never feed him insects is what he said! So I started giving him as less insects as possible and only greens which he hates :cry: now when I took him to this new vet after that xray she's saying why weren't you giving him more insects? That's crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom