My baby bearded dragon died

Status
Not open for further replies.

citrusfan

Hi,

I got a baby bearded dragon from a breeder about a month ago. She was eating fine for a week or so then stopped eating. So I did a fecal on her stool. She had coccidia and pinworm. So I started giving her albon for the next five days to take care of coccidia, then after that I gave her panacur for two days. During that time, I gave her pro-biotic and I had a night lamp to heat her all day. I was also feeding liquid emergency food almost every day. Well, one day (about two weeks after I finished all the medication) I fed her the liquid food and gave her a bath right after. She was opening her mough big so I thought maybe she was thursty. So I scooped water and put on her mouth. But she vomitted the water and the liquid food I gave her ealier. She was then motionless. I tried to revive her and she moved a few time afterward but she stopped moving then.... Well, she was dead. Could someone tell me what happened to her? Maybe she was choking on the liquid food and the water from her bath? She was about 2 months old. I am shocked and very sad. I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Livey

Extreme Poster
Im very sorry for your lose :/
I can't be much more helpful Unfortunaly,
perhaps someone else can help x

citrusfan

Original Poster
Thank you. I just wanted to know if my syringe feeding choked her and if that was the case I would like to know how to properly syring feed baby dragons in the future...

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
So sorry to hear about your loss. Unfortunately the beardie could of died from a number of causes. Keep your head up and keep on chugging.

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
I am so sorry about your baby. I have eleven dragons right now, and know how hard it is to lose one. I hope you will have a better experience next time, and I will tell you that syringe feeding a baby is a delicate task. You do not want to give more than 1 drop at a time, just by there teeth or front of the tongue, and be sure the baby is swallowing the liquid. Too much, or too far back in the throat, will allow the liquid to enter the lungs and drown the baby.

Another point for future reference, give a new dragon two weeks to a month time to settle in before a first fecal. With relocation stress, parasite levels will jump, and come back down as your baby settles in. Albon is a harsh drug for adults, and I have heard it said that they should be at least 6 months old before using it. Even herp vets are often not aware of the specific problems of bearded dragons, although we are trying to train them. What is good for an iguana, a skink or a turtle has no bearing on the needs of a bearded dragon, and treatment for one reptile will not work for another. I have not used Albon with a dragon under 18 months old, and saved another of my dragons when a vet wanted to inject a medicine that is often fatal for dragons. We have to inform ourselves to get the best for our babies. I hope this helps for your next little guy, and again, I am so sorry about your baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom