administering meds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
So this is the third round of meds I've had to do with my dragon... First he had roundworm, hookworm, and coccidia... Round one of meds cleared out the roundworm. Round two + reptile Xtra cleared out the hookworm. (He was only 40g when I first took him to the vet, so I think they might have underdosed him a little, thus the meds not being completely effective)

Anyway, I just took his poo to the vet again today, waited like an hour for them to check his fecal, and he still has very high levels of coccidia. They gave me albon, .2cc's for today and then .1 for the next six days, and I'm to bring in another fecal in a month.

Thing is, he resists the syringe like his life depends on it. He always has been pretty reluctant and I've given him his meds by dripping it on his nose, waiting for him to lick it off, and repeating til it's gone. Sometimes I ended up wasting most of the dose cuz he wouldn't lick it up. The vet told me originally to push on the side of his mouth with the syringe and he should open up, but he doesn't. Maybe I'm not pushing hard enough, but I don't want to hurt him. He does eventually lick most of the meds up if I just drip them on the tip of his nose, but he still ends up with yellow smeared all over his lips and I just feel like I'm wasting more than he's getting.

Is there a better way to get him to take his medicine? Some way to get him to open his mouth without hurting him? :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your thread was missed in this area!
What you can do is use a q-tip to help get his mouth open. Just tickle the side of his mouth & barely put the edge right inside of his gum & he will most likely open his mouth & you can quickly squirt in the meds pretty easily. You have to be quick.
He has been on an awful lot of medication for his age, are you sure that it is absolutely necessary that he be medicated? Just making sure he isn't getting too much at his age, it can be quite hard on their systems.
Have you been giving probiotics during all of the medication rounds? The Albon especially, he needs a probiotic to be taken along with it to help keep his tummy from getting so upset.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom