Bunch of questions re: infectious diseases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I am a brand new beardie owner, so I have a "few" questions about salmonella and other zoonotic diseases that beardie's can carry and transmit to humans. How exactly is Salmonella given to the beardie? Does it make them sick or are they just carriers or the disease? Is oral-fecal transmission the only way that a human can get infected with salmonella? We have a 11-month old son, who puts absolutely everything in his mouth. Should we be really concerned about salmonella or other infectious diseases that could be given to him (I don't let him handle the beardie's but he does touch the terrarium from the outside)? Should I get the beardie's fecals tested? How accurate are those tests (I know that in dogs and cats they are not 100% accurate due to the intermittent shedding of the parasite eggs) and what is the cost? How about testing for salmonella? Is that something that people get done? Thanks soooooo much for your replies in advance, as I am concerned about my son catching anything icky from the beardie's :|

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No need to test for salmonella because you can be pretty positive bearded dragons have it. They get it by it being passed down from the parent into the eggs, and as they hatch. Just like how eating raw chicken eggs can give you salmonella poisoning. No oral-fecal transmission is not the only way to get it. You can get it from holding the lizard then putting your finger in your mouth, eye, etc. Your son touching the outside of the cage is fine, no problems with that. Just make sure if you are allowing him to play with the beardie that you watch him and wash his hands good afterwards. Salmonella isn't really that big of a deal (besides for babies of course) and you don't have to be petrified of your dragon. Lots and lots of people, including myself, let their beardies run around the house, run on the bed, run up and down our bodies, we no bad effects. Im no doctor or no one trained in the ways of parasites and diseases, but from my experience, its not very easy to get salmonella poisoning unless you are intentionally trying to give yourself it.

Always is a good idea the get a fecal test just in case. Depending on who your exotic veterinarian is (and how well you know them :p) it could be anywhere from free, to 50$ to even 100$ if someone is having a bad day :| ) Just, once you see your beardie going poo, pick up the poo and place it in something to keep it enclosed, then call the vet and tell them you are bringing in a fecal that needs to be tested. They should let you come in anyways since any exotic vet worth his money knows fecals need to be fresh and you can't make appointments ahead of time.

Your son will be fine just don't let him put his hands in his mouth while with the beardie until after you wash his hands :p
Good luck

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom