probiotic & antibiotic together? (coccidia & hookworm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
My beardie has had worms and coccidia for the past few weeks, I got meds from the vet once and that helped but didn't get rid of it, so I got meds again... I have some adicophiliz that I bought from beautiful dragons, and I was talking to one of the people at the vet's office while I was waiting for the second fecal to finish and I mentioned the acidophiliz... He said to wait until I'd finished the medicine before I start giving the acidophiliz, in case they would somehow counteract each other or something. But I've read a few threads on here now and most people recommend giving the probiotic and antibiotic during the same period, six hours apart or something. Is there any chance of the acidophiliz counteracting the medication? Also, some days I won't be able to spread his medications out by six hours (my work schedule is never the same day to day, week to week), so what should I do in those circumstances?

Also, I don't think the vet really explained the seriousness of coccidia to me very well. One of the "nurses" gave me a paper about the worms my dragon has and one about coccidia, and I skimmed them but it was mainly about dogs and cats, not reptiles. They told me to keep the cage clean and recommended a spray cleaner (healthy habitat something or other, which I bought and have used a few times). No one told me anything about ammonia or bleach or hot water or taking out everything in the cage. All that is in his cage is paper towels on the bottom and two homemade mod-podge-coated styrene/grout rock structures. Should I take out the rock structures or are they okay? Should I really be cleaning his entire cage EVERY DAY with hot water?

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Coccidia is carried in the gut of the dragon. They always have it. When a dragon gets ill or has parasites the coccidia levels rise to an unhealthy level.
The probiotic will help ease the affects of the antibiotic. But to the best of my knowledge they dont cancel each other out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom