coccidia and cage stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
my poor baby is being treated for coccidia. his vet said i must throw away everything in his cage and bleach his cage daily.
ive read that bleach does not kill the eggs, but amonia and steam will. cant i just soak all his things in amonia and boiling water, or steam clean them? and should i be cleaning his cage with bleach or amonia (diluted, of course)?

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Yes ammonia and steam will kill. If you have porous surfaces like a hammock or a log those should be taken out. You can use a non porous surface like a rock for basking. It is just easier not to have many things in the viv for easy cleaning. Anything the dragon comes into contact should be cleaned at least once a day. Hope this helped and anymore help just ask.. :D

bigsidsmomma

Original Poster
i had a large plastic branch thing, a hammock, a couple rocks, and his ceramic food dish. can i soak them all in ammonia and steam clean them all, or would it be best to get new ones (or at least a new hammock)?? and right now, while he is being treated, he has been on newspaper (is usually on shelf liner) and ive put a new cardboard box in every day.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
You don't want to soak in the ammonia, just wash well, rinse very well, using vinegar. Steaming is always a great alternative. Just remember to hold that steam continuously for some time, and if in a glass tank, remember to get the silicone everywhere.. including under the Leader, the plastic frame that holds the glass in place at top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom