Just an update about Nolvasan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
BUMP to help those dealing with coccidia.

Very true! Nolvasan great for regular cleanings, but not for coccidia. Bleach/water mix or amonia/water mix will. Thoroughly rinsed and aired out after cleaning.

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, boiling water will clean viv furniture and steamers are great for killing coccidia inside the viv and won't crack the glass.

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
http://www.reptilerooms.com/index.php?categoryid=23&p142_id=149&p142_dis=3&p142_template=Simple
Note this paragraph specifically:
"Nolvasan or Quat cleaners are not going to kill coccidia oocyst, but hot water will, hot water will also kill flagellates when other cleaners will not. So if you have a steamer at the house, that is more effective than a cleaner or bleach water. The cleaners like Nolvasan and bleach water, will kill some bacteria, fungus and virus that the dragon may be more susceptible to while on meds, or in an otherwise immune weakened state, but is ineffective to the coccidia. If you do not have a steamer, take almost boiling water in a pan and wipe the tanks down with it, also soak the basking areas and other furnishings in it. (tongs or gloves work so you do not burn or hurt your hands."

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Disinfectants.html

Note this paragraph:
"Chlorhexidine - (Nolvasan, Virosan, Chlorhex, Chlorasan, Phisohex, Hibitane, Hibistat)Disadvantages: moderate cost, long contact time, poor efficiency against most viruses, and not effective against Cryptosporidia, Giardia, coccidia, mycobacteria, bacteria spores, gram-positive bacteria including Pseudomonas (except Virosan, it will kill Pseudomonas), not very effective in the presence of organic debris, and hard water makes it less effective."

Nolvasan (Chlorhexadine) is not effective for use in killing coccidia/coccidia oocyts, as Lance mentioned previously.

Bleach/water mix will kill some, but is not as effective as the amonia/water mix. Boiling water or a steam cleaner are very effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom