Coccidia and systemic infection. Suggestions welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello,
Am new to Bearded Dragons.org and would welcome any suggestions. About a month ago I purchased a dragon from a renown on line breeder. He arrived over night via of UPS safely. He is 2 years old, 22" long nose to tip of tail and was supposed to be around 660 grams. Anyways, by day two he had still not eaten anything and I started to get a little concerned, so I contacted the the person I bought him from. She asked me all the questions about viv set up, temp, UVB,what was being fed etc. Did everything she asked but dragon was still listless and not eating.

Co-worker and friend I know said that she was probably stressed due to shipping and new environment and said to give it a little more time. So I did wait a few more days and then decided to see the vet.

Vet did blood work and fecal exam. Said my dragon had high level of coccidia, systemic infection, was 635 grams, and my dragon was a girl, hhmm, He prescribed these meds: Baytril 0.21ml, Metrondazole 0.19ml, and Ponazuril 0.13ml by mouth, all once a day. Well I've been giving these meds with Reptaid Herbivore supplement with pedialite, baby food (string beans and squash) and soy yogurt once a day and daily warm baths. The only improvement after two weeks of treatment is that she is pooping after daily bath. She still has no appetite and is still lethargic. There's one more week of treatment left.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, would really be thankful.

I am new at this but think I'm doing everything I'm supposed to. All the cages have a 150 watt clear basking light. A 10.0 Reptiglo UVB flouresent bulb. Cage floor is non adhesive shelf liners. Purchased a heat gun, temps are between 100 and 110 degrees.
I have four other 6 to 10 month old dragons in separate cages and are doing well.

Thanks,
Tim

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
I think I've found it although I can't be sure.

Reptiglo made my beardie overly lethargic too... Try switching to a Reptisun 10.0. You can order one at petmountain.com for about 20$ (plus shipping). Once I switched from the reptiglo to reptisun i had a much happier beardie.
for a little more info on lighting: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=114817&e=0
what type of substrate are you using?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Tim,

Do you have a copy of the bloodwork that you could send me? I would like to look over it if possible, thanks!
That is an awful lot of medication all at once & I don't agree with having her on that much medication at the same time. It is too hard on the system. The Ponazuril is really only designed to be used on a one time basis, per treatment, for coccidia at the dose of 20mg/kg. This is a highly effective anti-coccidial drug.
What is the concentration of the Baytril, do you know?
Do you know what the concentration of the Metronidazole is?
Are you giving her any probiotics along with all of this? If not, I highly recommend it.

Tracie

Original Poster
Tracie,
Thanks for contacting me. Not sure as to how to reply to you on this site.
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom