Need Coccidia Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilblack94gt

Hatchling Member
The vet did a fecal yesterday and Sam has a count of 3+ of Isospora. They said I need to clean the viv everyday for a month with a 30:1 ratio of hot water and bleach. I am also to treat her for a month with .03ml of Albon once a day.

Everything I have found on the internet says that bleach won't kill coccidia. That only a 25% ammonia solution or boiling water will kill it.

My questions are:

1. What are some cleaners I can use then to kill these damn parasites? Since I am using a 40gal breeder tank, using boiling water is not an option as it will crack the glass in the tank.
2. Where can I get Acidopholiz? I would prefer a liquid kind if possible.
3. Do I need to worry about this spreading to me, my family, other animals, etc?
4. What is the best way to wash her towels to kill the coccidia?

Ugh! I feel so darn helpless right now! I am not sure how she got this. Before I got her, she had a fecal done. :( Any help will be greatly appreciated!

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Ok, first take a deep breath. You'll get through this just fine. Now, as far as using bleach for cleaning the viv, yes it does kill coccidia, but it's not the most effective way to do so. A mix of amonia and water, 25% amonia, will kill them. Use a spray bottle for the sides of the viv and put about 1/2 an inch of the liquid in the bottom. You can use a shop vac to suck it out. Let this sit for at least 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly, and allow it to air dry before putting your dragon back in. Make absolutely sure their are no remaining fumes. And be sure the room is well ventilated for your own safety, amonia is very hard on the lungs.

Remove all the viv furniture and substrate/carpet. Use newspaper as a substrate until this is cleared up. Easier to pull out and replace daily/several times daily. All viv furniture needs to be either boiled or soaked then baked at 200-225F for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to kill any and all parasites that might be present. You can bake logs, just soak them first for 10 to 15 minutes in water, wrap in foil and into the oven. Leave viv furniture out during the treatment. I would suggest a couple of rocks to use as temporary basking spots, that way you can switch them out daily and clean them daily. Also be sure to clean up Poop as soon as you see it! I would not feed in the viv for now either, or hand feed. You don't want live feeders in the viv roaming. Live feeders eat poo, then the dragon eats the feeders, and more coccidia is re-introduced into the system. Basic life cycle of coccidia: from the dragon's digestive tract, into the poo, eaten by the feeder, feeder eaten by the dragon.

To clean her towels, simply boil them in water for about 10 to 15 minutes. Boiling water kills everything.

As far as a probiotic, bene-bac is about the best one. I got mine locally at a store that carries farm animal related items (like tractor supply, which carries a lot of otc meds for animals. There are a lot of online sources for bene-bac and acidopholiz. You want to be sure to give the probiotic daily, but space it out from the albon by about 6 hours. This will help keep the good flora from being wiped out and get it back into balance after the treatments are over.

Albon is the most effective way to lower coccidia counts back to a normal range. It's not necessary to wipe out coccidia competely, just need to get the levels down to a normal level. Coccidia is common in their digestive tracts, even beneficial when at the proper levels. It's when those levels get too high and the good bacteria get too low that it becomes a problem.

Be sure to wash hands with an antibacterial soap after cleaning up poo or cleaning the viv. Coccida spreading to you and your family is really unlikely, but hand washing is a must anytime you've handled fecal matter from an animal. Parasites from animals can pass to humans, as well as salmonilla, if present, so washing the hands will prevent that. It can be passed to other reptiles in the house, so make sure no items are share between other herps. I'm not sure about whether it can be passed to dogs/cats, but I believe that it can.

Although she had a fecal done, her coccidia levels at the time were probably fine. However, stress and/or illness can cause a spike in those levels. Be sure to give warm baths daily to every other day while treating with albon. Albon is a sulfa drug and sulfa's can cause dehydration. You may also want to consider getting some clear pedialyte for some oral hydration. About 10ml (2 teaspoonsful) per day for hydration and electrolytes.

Hang in there! Let us know how she's doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom